Menu
Bigwilkey
Superfast
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Text Messages Recieved 12hrs After Original Send Time

My family have been sending me texts but i am not getting them until hours after they are sent! sometimes up to 12 hours after, i have checked the settings on the mobile and i have a medium signal while in the house, i can make phone calls and have even tried disabling my WiFi to see if that is causing problems, but to no avail.

The only explanation i can come up with is it has to be the network on Virgin's side could a Dev check into this please, as if i need to be contacted in an emergency via text, i am not able to recieve texts! (until hours later)

Phone: Galaxy S5

Model SM-G900F

Version 4.4.2

Firmware: Original

Regards

Bigwilkey

VMG300 Most Reliable Modem To Come From Virgin Media, twitch.tv/bigwilkey youtube.com/bigwilkey twitter.com/Bigwilkey
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Text Messages Recieved 12hrs After Original Send Time

Hi Bigwilkey

Thanks for your post - sorry to hear about the issues you're having receiving texts.

This issue would usually happen if the signal on the handset is weak or intermittent. If the message cannot be delivered to your handset due to signal, it will try again later for up to 72 hours until it can be delivered.

It's odd that you say the signal is good though and calls are possible, but you're still not receiving the texts.

Does the handset receive calls okay when the texts aren't coming through?

There is a known issue with this handset, affecting some of our customers, which causes the phone not to pick up calls or texts while connected to a WiFi connection (making calls usually works okay). Samsung have released an update to fix this though, so it's worth double-checking you're running the latest software on your device (Settings > About Device > Software update).

Have you been able to test the SIM in another handset, to rule out any issues with the phone itself?

Let us know how you get on with it.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Bigwilkey

Thanks for your post - sorry to hear about the issues you're having receiving texts.

This issue would usually happen if the signal on the handset is weak or intermittent. If the message cannot be delivered to your handset due to signal, it will try again later for up to 72 hours until it can be delivered.

It's odd that you say the signal is good though and calls are possible, but you're still not receiving the texts.

Does the handset receive calls okay when the texts aren't coming through?

There is a known issue with this handset, affecting some of our customers, which causes the phone not to pick up calls or texts while connected to a WiFi connection (making calls usually works okay). Samsung have released an update to fix this though, so it's worth double-checking you're running the latest software on your device (Settings > About Device > Software update).

Have you been able to test the SIM in another handset, to rule out any issues with the phone itself?

Let us know how you get on with it.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

R5oss
Up to speed
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

+1

My wife's folding NOKIA 2760 has had this problem for eons.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi R50ss,

I'm really sorry that you've had some trouble with receving text messages. I want to get this sorted for you Smiley Happy So we can do this, are you able to try your sim in another phone?

We want to pinpoint the fault and get it fixed as soon as possible. Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
R5oss
Up to speed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mat, I'll dig out an old phone and try that. I'll PM you in due course, although I have to persuade Mrs R. to hand over her phone Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply R5oss Smiley Happy

Let me know how this goes for you. I'm here if you have any follow up queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
raddleman
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Most of us rely upon instant SMS messaging as it works fine normally. However, unfortunately SMS messaging is and never has been a guaranteed service It relies on unused GSM signalling channels and therefore may be is subject to delays see this link from Wikipedia.The use of SMS as an emergency service in particular has been questioned regarding its reliability

SMS messages are generally treated as lower-priority traffic than voice, and various studies have shown that around 1% to 5% of messages are lost entirely, even during normal operation conditions,and others may not be delivered until long after their relevance has passed.

R5oss
Up to speed
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Update :- I've just replaced the battery in my wife's Nokia (not holding charge) and now various functions that were iffy are now working. Too soon to report on the delayed texts, but as and when, I will.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

HI R5oss,

Thanks for the update and glad to hear this is sorted, touch wood.

Just get back to us if you need anything.

Take care

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Jane75
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have only just switched to Virgin Mobile after being with o2 since 1996.

Virgins deal was far better for much less, it's a case of you get what you pay fori suppose

my 5 little circles on the iPhone showing signal strength where always 5 on O2, 

on Virgin I'm lucky to get 2.

also, I sent my 12 year old niece a text in the afternoon around 1.10pm- she didn't get it until

9.44!!!!!!!(her explanation marks, not mine) I was then told bedtime is 9pm SHARP.

NOT the first time it's taken several  hours to reach its destination and am actually shopping arouns 

for another network that is more reliable-unless someone cal tell me Virgins service quality will change?

0 Kudos