Menu
MACH1000
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Tethering on 4G

Hi Can I clarify the current position re tethering with a 4G contract?

I know under my old 3G contract I had the option of unlimited data but tethering was forbidden.

I am looking to upgrade my phone to a 4G phone and  was wondering if the position was the same. The new contracts allow up to 20Gb per month (no unlimited option) so I would have thought that it made no difference what device devoured the data - just that when it was gone it was gone!

I don't want to get the wrong end of the stick so it would be helpful to know the current position.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
chengyuan
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tethering on 4G

I am on a Virgin 4G contract and I am physically unable to tether on my iPhone 5S.

I don't think Virgin allow it... and they seem to have also blocked it on my phone.
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

chengyuan wrote:
I am on a Virgin 4G contract and I am physically unable to tether on my iPhone 5S.

I don't think Virgin allow it... and they seem to have also blocked it on my phone.

As a quick test, I thought I would try it out.

Your right that with Virgin's standard APN settings, they seem to have blocked tethering.  It can be bypassed by changing the  APN settings - but I believe using different APN settings is not possible on iPhone's.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
a_ukboy
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This is interesting, I just joined VM yesterday and have the 20gig 4G sim, I can tether.. I've just tried it from my phone to my iPad... The CS advisor told me yesterday that tethering is allowed...
One thing I am disappointed with is not being able to use HulloMail as VM don't support Call Forwarding! That also squashes my plans as I usually divert my number when roaming!
0 Kudos
katie2
Just joined
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Don't know if this is hijacking the tread, I think it's along the lines of the topic?  Can the 20GB phone sims be used in mifi units?  they're much cheaper than the data sims.   I can't get 4G connection where I live anyway, so that part makes no difference.

0 Kudos