Menu
MarkFFisher
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Tapeacall app

Hi,

I'm trying to get the Tapeacall recording app to work on my iPhone, so far without any luck. For it work, it needs to have three-way conference calling enabled. The only information I've found on the Virgin Media site about group calls involves calling up and selecting up a group identity number (http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1003&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFl... which doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.

Does this mean Tapeacall doesn't work on Virgin Mobile?

More on the app here: [MOD EDIT]

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
TapeACall
Just joined
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tapeacall app

Hi Mark,

First off, I want to apologize for any problems you're experiencing with the app. I know how frustrating this must be! Your suspicion is correct. It sounds like the trouble you are having is due to conference calling not being enabled on the phone. Allow me to explain.

TapeACall works by creating a conference call between you, the person you want to record, and our access number that records the call. To be able to create this conference call, your mobile carrier must support 3-way calling and your plan must have this feature enabled. Without 3-way calling, TapeACall will unfortunately not work.

If your iPhone does not successfully create a conference when you press the “merge calls” button, this likely means that you need to enable this feature with your carrier. Though most carriers do support 3-way conference calling, there are some exceptions, as we mention in our App Store description. It does appear that Virgin Mobile offers conference calling on some of their plans. Perhaps one of their representatives will be able to reply as well so that we can find out for sure if the feature is currently available on your phone. If not, you would certainly be able to find out by calling into their support line: 1-888-322-1122.

Thank you so much for downloading TapeACall. We truly appreciate every single user around the world and we hope we were able to help you get 3-way conference calling enabled on your phone. If there's anything else I can do to help or provide you with better support, please don't hesitate to contact me and the rest of our team! You can email us at support@tapeacall.com to ask any other questions you may have about the app. Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Dan
Technical Support
[MOD EDIT]

0 Kudos
MarkFFisher
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. It's frustrating having paid for the app to find it doesn't appear to work on Virgin Media (I didn't realise that's why you had a Lite version until it was too late).

Anyone from Virgin Media care to say whether the service is always going to be like this?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

MarkFFisher wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to get the Tapeacall recording app to work on my iPhone, so far without any luck. For it work, it needs to have three-way conference calling enabled.

What a terrible way to record a call. It's no wonder the app only gets two stars on the app store.

What is to stop the developer changing the phone number (that you end up in a conference with) to a premium rate number at £2.60 a minute?

What's wrong with the alternative call recording apps that just save the call as a 3GP file on your handset's own storage.

What is it about this thread that makes me think it's totally an attempt at free advertising.

0 Kudos
MarkFFisher
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

An odd way to advertise an app by saying it doesn't work. I didn't know about the other apps you mention; this one was recommended to me on a professional mailing list, which is why I tried it first (and, to be fair, if I remember rightly, it's the Lite version that gets the low star rating, not the main app). I'll check out what else is available as you recommend.

Thanks for the tip.

0 Kudos