Menu
Ant555
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

T-Mobile to VM - handset unlock by who?

I'm tempted by the double data offer -  £10 for 4Gb seems to be as good as it gets right now foe me so i'm looking to switch three numbers from T-Mobile to VM

I have a question about my handsets - iPhone 5c and 5s purchased second hand ages ago and network locked to EE.

I understand that the new VM sim will work as they are on EE but if the time comes for me to get an unlock code then should I request that now from T-Mobile or can I request if from Virgin media in the future?

I'm not sure who owns the lock in this situation.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: T-Mobile to VM - handset unlock by who?

It needs to come from the network you bought the handset from as far as I'm aware.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

not sure you will be able to get an unlock code from either T-mobile or Virgin - afaik contract phones are locked back to the original owners and their email address - was not always so but its got worse of late - iphones are not easy [read cheap] to unlock - they can be done but those that do them are greedy

Tony
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You may find that a Virgin sim may work in your iPhone as the network is the same, try a payg sim first or borrow one to check.

0 Kudos
jenni3487
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Looks like EE would have the unlock code. EE, T mobile, Tesco, Virgin and a few others I cant think of at the min all run on the same network so you wont need to get them unlocked to switch to any of these but if you still want them unlocking it would be EE you contact however I-phones are notoriously difficult to unlock I personally paid the extra to get the sim free one for this reason as you may end up paying double, triple or even quadruple that just to get it unlocked (that is not an exaggeration unfortunately)
0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I would get the iPhones unlocked by EE whilst they are still active as an EE or T-Mobile phone. Although the Virgin SIMs should work you might run into problems later if you try to get Virgin to unlock the phones. In short Virgin will claim they can't unlock the phones and make you chase your tail.  EE charge £8.99 and the potential hassle factor with VM will be a lot more.

The link to the unlock request form is here. You'll need to have registered an online account(s) with EE, Orange or T-Mobile as appropriate. If the phones are PAYG then you will need at least £8.99 credit available for each phone. 

0 Kudos