Menu
Balmain-Boy
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Swapping to Nano SIM, Retaining Number and Phone Plan

Hi,

I visit UK & Europe ever year for a month.

I use a Virgin PAYG SIM when I'm over there.

Fortuitously, every year when I return to UK my number still operates and even the credit is still valid.

My current phone is an Android and I am gaining an iPhone shortly which will necessitate requesting Virgin UK to send out a smaller Nano SIM.

Can I retain my number ?   Will I be able to retain my Plan/Tariff ? (which is no longer available for new customers / numbers)   And most importantly, will this activity on my account result in my number no longer kept alive when gone unused for 11 months ?

Must of been with Virgin UK for well over 12 years, the Plan/Tariff I'm on is 'Daily Bonus'.

Any forthcoming answers will be very much appreciated, thank you.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Swapping to Nano SIM, Retaining Number and Phone Plan

If you don't use it for 11 months at a time then fortuitous is, in fact, an understatement. IIRC the inactivity period on Daily Bonus is 90 days, so you've been lucky so far.

If you request a replacement sim it would come multi-cut so you can just pop out the size you require. As long as it's understood you want a replacement sim (and not something new) nothing else should change. If you phone up the sim would be sent to your registered UK address.  You could try asking in a Virgin shop when you're here. You could also try cutting it down to the correct size, many phone shops will do that for you (understandably, this is all at your own risk).

Also, make sure that your iPhone is fully unlocked for any (international) network as there are many posts across the Internet on problems in that subject area.

All Replies
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you don't use it for 11 months at a time then fortuitous is, in fact, an understatement. IIRC the inactivity period on Daily Bonus is 90 days, so you've been lucky so far.

If you request a replacement sim it would come multi-cut so you can just pop out the size you require. As long as it's understood you want a replacement sim (and not something new) nothing else should change. If you phone up the sim would be sent to your registered UK address.  You could try asking in a Virgin shop when you're here. You could also try cutting it down to the correct size, many phone shops will do that for you (understandably, this is all at your own risk).

Also, make sure that your iPhone is fully unlocked for any (international) network as there are many posts across the Internet on problems in that subject area.

Balmain-Boy
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your info.

How do I differentiate between requesting a replacement rather than a new SIM when ordering ?   Online, there doesn't appear to be an option to choose.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Balmain-Boy,

If you need to order a replacement SIM, you'll need to give us a call on 789 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile), 150 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile or Virgin Media landline) or 0345 6000 789 (from any other phone) or I can order this for you here. A replacement SIM retains the same number.

If you would like for me to order this, I'll need to take more information from you, so I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
loyalcop99
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have just contacted yourselves on 789 to request a replacement PAYG SIM with the same number so that I can stay with virgin whilst using my new phone. I was told it would cost me £5 !. You don't mention that anywhere in your reply, or make it clear anywhere else on your sites as far as I can see. I too have been a customer for over 15 yrs, but am now considering moving to another provider.
0 Kudos