Menu
GordonF
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Student's temporary move to France

I have a monthly Sim deal with Virgin for my son. However, he has just moved to France for a 8 months as part of his French degree. He's therefore been looking at various French Sim deals to replace his Virgin Sim while in the country. However, as Virgin has a presence in France. I firstly want to check to see if there is a cost-effective way for him to stay with Virgin, keeping his UK number, and using his monthly UK contract phone/text/data allowances while in France.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Student's temporary move to France

Hi GordonF,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

That sounds very exciting for your son! I'm sure he'll have a wonderful time.

While your son is in France with this Virgin Mobile sim, he would come under regular roaming charges for France which can be found here.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
GordonF
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for trying Matt but that link only gives call & text charges, not roaming charges! However, I was already aware of the standard roaming charges for France being more expensive than buying a French Sim (even with a Virgin Travel Pass) which is why I was asking if there was an alternative such as a tie-in with Virgin France.

Nevertheless, I guess you've answered my question by indicating there isn't a cost-effective way of remaining with Virgin during his 8 months stay so we'll now look into getting a French Sim for the period instead.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me GordonF Smiley Happy

Roaming will be the use of calls and texts while abroad. Data roaming is using any data based service while roaming.

With regards to Data Roaming, we can only offer the EU travel pass to your son while he's in France.

Let me know if you have any more queries. I hope your son has an amazing time in France Smiley Happy

Mat

0 Kudos
GordonF
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry Matt yes by "roaming" I did mean "data roaming". Thanks for the clarification.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No problem at all GordonF Smiley Happy

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos