Menu
khenryashley
Rising star
Message 1 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Spam Text from 700040148

Just had a £5 charge relating to 700040148. Premium Text.

Have narrowed it down to my wife clicking on a Facebook post for a  quiz.

Have been advised to text STOPALL TO 80556 which I have done. What does this do?

Anyone had similar problems?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam Text from 700040148

Hi Khenryashley,

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you were charged for the text. Texting STOPALL will prevent any further charges coming through.

Keep an eye on it and let me know if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
nightdevil
Joining in
Message 3 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I have just wasted over an hour speaking to customer services regarding this issue.  When I send STOPALL to that number I get a message back telling me 'You currently have EE Adult Barring turned on for access to 18+ services.  If you wish to turn this off please call the customer care number'

I never actually received any messages and my only hint about them was when I received a much higher than normal bill which I then looked into.  I had a conversation with one adviser who said he was putting me on hold while he looked into the issue and in reality put me back into the queue, I then spoke to a female adviser for about an hour and I am as wise as ever as to who or what these texts were from, who then took the first chance she could to pass me to retentions (?) when I said I wished to change the tariff to include more mobile data. 

I then spoke to a very helpful (not) retentions adviser who told me that Virgin do not have to advise their customers who these 3rd party text message company are and in not so many words told me its fine if I wanted to go ahead and cancel all my services with Virgin ( I have broadband and telephone as well as a couple of mobile contracts) then back tracked and said he did not say those words!  No he didn't say 'those words'  That was a summary of what he did say! 

He continually spoke over the top of me which I told him I found very rude, he then went on to say that calls are recorded and at this point I asked for an address to write to to complain about the premium text messages which I refuse to pay for (I have complained to PhonePayPlus who cannot tell me who they belong to either).   Not the best customer service experience for someone who has been a customer in my own right since 2009 and also before that when Virgin was NTL and previously Cable-tel

I have worked in customer service for many years and this is not the way to deal with a frustrated, angry customer

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Mat_H wrote:

Hi Khenryashley,

I'm really sorry that you were charged for the text. Texting STOPALL will prevent any further charges coming through.

Thanks,

Mat

No it wont.

Yes I had similair issues.

And it wasn't from ANYTHING. Short numbers are notoriously difficult to track down, so many Network providers just shrug their shoulders. I just binned the account and number, got a new one.

khenryashley
Rising star
Message 5 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Mat_H wrote:

Hi Khenryashley,

Thanks,

Mat

Mat

I have had 2 more premium text received from 700038378. Cost £3 each text. 

How can do they do this. ?

Is it legal for them to charge me to receive a text when we don't know who its from.

Who can I contact to sort this issue out.

Regards

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi khenryashley,

Thanks for keeping updated. I'm sorry to hear you've received further texts from a different number.

They have your number for a reason. We're not sure why though. Your number may have been sold on from another company. You may have entered your number in a site without realising the repercussions.

Does it have an opt-out number? There's nothing we can do to stop them. The best solution to this would be to text STOP or STOPALL as previously advised.

If you want some further advice you can give the team a call on 789 from the Virgin Mobile handset or 0345 6000 789 from any other handset.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
khenryashley
Rising star
Message 7 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

Ive tried the STOPALL last time but it has obviously not worked.

How can they get away with this scam. Surely there must be someone I can contact to report this fraud.

Any advice would be appreciated. I can't go on throwing money away like this.

Regards

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi khenryashley,

It may have worked for 700040148 but you're now receiving them from 700038378. Not sure if these are the same company. So you may be required to send STOPALL again.

Does it have a different opt-out number? Would you mind posting that number here?

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Pete63
Joining in
Message 9 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Khenryashley,
Bad luck, we have just been stung for £230 across two phones with Premium Text and Premium Calls we have not made or received.
Still trying to sort things out as we only have spotted it today but I have a distraught daughter with a £109 bill.
These were multiple text numbers but the main culprit was the Premium Calls 09116130202, apparently 7 calls at £26 per call over a short period. 4 when we were sat watching TV last night. I have tracked the calls down to Vienna. The Virgin guy was friendly today but totally useless. The only reason why they stopped was that it reached the £100 limit on both phones.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 33
Flag for a moderator

nightdevil wrote:

...When I send STOPALL to that number I get a message back telling me 'You currently have EE Adult Barring turned on for access to 18+ services.  If you wish to turn this off please call the customer care number'

Why has nobody paid attention to this part?

If the OP is unable to text a stop message to this number because of the adult barring being on, surely it means the OP was unable to sign up for the premium "service" in the first place?