Menu
Dave47g
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sony Xperia M5 automatic connection to wifi not happening

Hi, I have just received my brand new sony xperia M5 and alcatel pixie 3 7" tablet and what a contrast. The alcatel pixie 3 automatically connects to my wifi network without a problem, took it to my daughters to show grandson, brought it home, it automatically connected with my wifi network, without any intervention from me. If I do the same with the sony xperia M5, on return to the house it does not automatically connect to my wifi network. As a result my phone has updated all my apps using half my virgin mobile data allowance !!

I have discovered 3 methods that will make it connect:

1. switch off the phone wait 10 seconds, switch phone back on, phone connects automatically.
  2. go to settings, wifi, click on wifi network which says it is saved, it then connects
  3. use virgin mobile wifi buddy app, which says disconnected, click the wifi network and it connects.

Once connected, it stays connected and does not loose the connection.

Anyone know how to get the phone to automatically connect?

Seems crazy that a cheap free tablet outperforms a sony product. Automatic connection to wifi is the top prerequisite for any smartphone and for a company like sony to have released a smartphone that cannot perform that prerequisite is unbelievable.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
mikefraser
Dialled in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sony Xperia M5 automatic connection to wifi not happening

There does seem to be a manufacturing fault (in fact several) with the Experia M5. There was another thread on here a while back reporting the same behaviour, and the Experia M5 I had as an upgrade had Wi-Fi issues. It would connect automatically, but then drop off whichever Wi-Fi network it happened to be on, and would not reconnect until you restarted the phone. It also had a host of other problems, including the music player starting randomly, so after a few days I returned it under the 14 day customer satisfaction guarantee. Tech Support (!) suggested trying a factory reset, but that had no effect. Frankly I'd get rid of it!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey Dave47g

I'm sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing at the moment, I've been to ask one of our second line mobile support teams about this and they've informed me that it's something that can happen quite rarely and is to do with the software on the handset not wanting to connect to certain routers.

As a solution, I'd recommend checking the Sony PC suite for an update, or a full factory reset of the handset.

If that still doesn't resolve the issue, we can look at getting it repaired or exchanged depending on your circumstances, so let me know and I'll escalate it for you.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Dave.

Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

We'd love to look into getting you some help with the handset, so I've dropped you a quick PM with some more information on.

Just respond to the PM with the requested information.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos

All Replies
mikefraser
Dialled in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There does seem to be a manufacturing fault (in fact several) with the Experia M5. There was another thread on here a while back reporting the same behaviour, and the Experia M5 I had as an upgrade had Wi-Fi issues. It would connect automatically, but then drop off whichever Wi-Fi network it happened to be on, and would not reconnect until you restarted the phone. It also had a host of other problems, including the music player starting randomly, so after a few days I returned it under the 14 day customer satisfaction guarantee. Tech Support (!) suggested trying a factory reset, but that had no effect. Frankly I'd get rid of it!

0 Kudos
Dave47g
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I can now give an update. My daughter has a sky phone and adsl broadband package, this morning as I approached her house the sony xperia beeped and informed me that a wifi connection was available and before I had even got through the front door it had connected. On return to my house the M5 did not beep and it was 5 minutes before it deigned to do anything and only connected after I had clicked the wifi network running in my house, then it connected and has remained connected for the last 3 hours. I have the first version of the virgin media superhub, could this be the problem? How do I upgrade to a more modern version of the superhub and anyone got any experience with later versions of it and a sony xperia M5?

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

A couple of things I would try:

Restart the Superhub

Delete the saved home WiFi settings on the phone and setup again.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
mikefraser
Dialled in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Interesting that it's locking on to a non Virgin Wi-Fi network and not a Virgin one. I have the Superhub 2AC, so I'm not sure its your hub that causing the problem, but as someone else has said, try restarting the hub, then tell the phone to 'forget' that connection and try connecting afresh.

0 Kudos
Dave47g
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have tried suggested solution of forgetting the network on the phone and restarting the superhub. No improvement, the phone does not beep either when I arrive home or leave. At my daughters phone beeps and connects when I arrive and beeps and disconnects when I leave and then get out of range of her connection. The phone does not react to the virgin superhub either coming in to range of it or going out of range of it. However, if I leave my phone alone for 5 minutes it does eventually connect to my home network. My only problem is if it doesn't react to free wireless hotspots when I am out and about and hence will then rely more on my data allowance and as a result cost me more. Ho Hum

0 Kudos
mikefraser
Dialled in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ho Hum indeed; how frustrating this must be for you! Given my experience, my money is still on the Experia being the cause of this, especially as your tablet connects without fuss and it won't seemingly connect to Wi Fi hotspots.  Have you tried to connect someone else's phone to your hub, and if so what happens?  If it connects, you can probably rule out the hub. Oh, and have you installed the Virgin Media Wi Fi app? You could try uninstalling and reinstalling that to see if it makes any difference. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey Dave47g

I'm sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing at the moment, I've been to ask one of our second line mobile support teams about this and they've informed me that it's something that can happen quite rarely and is to do with the software on the handset not wanting to connect to certain routers.

As a solution, I'd recommend checking the Sony PC suite for an update, or a full factory reset of the handset.

If that still doesn't resolve the issue, we can look at getting it repaired or exchanged depending on your circumstances, so let me know and I'll escalate it for you.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Dave47g
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I had a day out in York the other day, the phone completely failed to notify me of any wifi hotspots as we travelled around the city. We relied on my wife's sony xperia z1 for that and it performed without fault. The option to replace the phone is one I would like to persue, however, the caveat to that is that this is my second M5 as the first was delivered with a manufacturing fault. That experience with customer services was pretty awful and what I learnt was don't try to exchange a phone before the first direct debit payment is made, that is due to happen on the 8th of July so any exchange should be after that date. In the meantime I am going to dig out an old router and see if I can set it up on my home network as a wireless access point and couple the phone to it to see if things improve.

Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Dave.

Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

We'd love to look into getting you some help with the handset, so I've dropped you a quick PM with some more information on.

Just respond to the PM with the requested information.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos