Menu
Slamber
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sony Xperia M5 - WiFi Dropping Connection

My wife has a new Xperia M5 and is having problems with the WiFi repeatedly dropping connection and not reconnecting by itself.  This is happening in the same room as our 'SuperHub3' router. 

I have deleted the wifi connection on the phone several times and set it up again, factory reset the phone in addition to restarting phone and router countless times with no resolution.  There are many devices (tabs and phones) connecting to our superhub3 without any problems so am thinking there is a bug with the phones software (5.1.1) or hardware issue.  Would be interesting to know if anyone else is using this phone and experiencing the same problem especially with a Superhub3. Thanks

0 Kudos
mikefraser
Dialled in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sony Xperia M5 - WiFi Dropping Connection

You're not alone!  I too have (or rather had) a new Experia M5 and it did just that, on any Wi-Fi network to which it happened to be connected, not just my home one. The advice from VM tech support was to do a factory reset, but that made no difference. On mine, I could only reconnect to Wi-Fi if I restarted the phone, after which it connected properly until the next time it dropped off (repeat ad nauseam). Mine also had a habit of starting the on board music player uncommanded, and if you selected blue tooth it started up the Throw function, probably because the music player was running in the background. Worse, overnight, probably because of these issues, the battery was all but draining out after 7 or 8 hours despite the phone not being used and Stamina mode being on.

I eventually exercised my right to cancel under the 14 day guarantee, not, I might say, without having to deal with the most appalling incompetence on the part of the VM call centre, who appeared to be clueless! If your wife is still in the 14 day period, my advice would be to get rid, as there is clearly a problem with these handsets.  My current phone is an Experia M2, running the identical version of Android, and it is rock solid. If you're outside the 14 day period, I would say you should argue the phone is not fit for purpose and reject it.

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Same here, it is Sony's problem, and it is very annoying.

Restarting the phone is all that will work to reconnect via WiFi again.

Sent a support ticket to Sony about it, it took them 3 days to let me know they know about it, and are working on it, but it seems they have been working on it for months, i.e. business speak for "can't be bothered"

Majide!
0 Kudos
PBR
Just joined
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My Sony M5 has been back to Virgin 3 times for the same fault of dropping out of and not automatically connecting to the internet. I have just fitted a "super hub 3" at their insistence and still it won`t work. The only way that I ca connect to the internet manually is by going into and out of airplane mode. They keep telling me they can`t find a fault. This seems to be a common fault with this model. I have a "Z2", an Ipad, 2 kindles and a Motorola Zoom plus a laptop and they all work perfectly. I am awaiting a call back from their tech team to try and get authorisation for a different phone. Virgins retentions team want me to pay up the balance on the contract before they give me another phone on another 2 year contract they must be barmy.

J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As much as Virgin are not helpful this is a Sony software issue, check the phone and see if there is an update, if not your stuck until it does get an update. If you are within the time you can cancel then I'd recommend that. It may be just that it's not compatible with Virgin or a wider issue. Don't expect Virgin support staff to have any training or assistance as this is out side of there comprehensive ( sic) training they can only cover the basic stuff as they have no dedicated mobile staff after making all of Virgin mobile's only dedicated mobile uk call centre redundant a few years ago. They are now jack of all trade and master of non.

0 Kudos
ReturnOfTheMick
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Why on earth are they still selling this phone when this issue (as I'm just discovering) is aparently widely known about and has been around for a fair while now?

I made the mistake of moving from Tesco Mobile a month or two back to Virgin Mobile and I foolishly picked an Xperia M5 which i'm paying £11 per month for (that's just the phone not the calling package). The WiFi is absolutely useless on the thing. And I wont even start on about the pathetic battery life and all the mumbo jumbo you have to perform to get the thing not to eat a full charge in an hour or less. Or that the two year old Iphone 5 I've just downgraded from has a better battery life today at two years old than the Xperia does from new.

I've gone through all the known steps, settings and fixes for this WiFi issues and it's still useless. I'm forever having to reconnect it to my WiFi and half the time this means having to reboot the entire phone. I can leave the phone connected to WiFi when I go to bed at night. By morning it's disconnected itself for no aparent reason and usually I'll have to reboot the entire phone again.

If I leave my house and go to my friend's house it doesn't connect to his router automatically. I end up (yes you've guessed it) having to reboot the entire phone. Then when I come back home the phone wont connect back to my Router automatically and again I end up (yet again) rebooting the entire phone.

90% of the time when I come to use the WiFi on this phone I end up having to reboot it if I've not used it for an hour or so. It's absolutely useless.

As I've said, this issue is widely known about and no one seems to be doing anything about it. Obviously the only reason I now know this is because I've got the phone and have wasted ages follwing guides and troubleshooting off the internet trying to sort it out. By which time I'm well out of the period I can cancel and return it.

Now I'm sure Sony AND Virgin must have had enough complaints about these handsets and this issue by now to bring it well and truly to their attention and yet Sony doesn't seemed to have fixed a thing and Virgin keep on selling this model. While the issue is undoubtedly Sony's problem, if I were a retailer I would refuse to sell the handset until the matter was resolved.

The way I see it you are knowingly selling faulty goods. I wouldn't knowingly sell you a brand new broken cooker with the oven not working and then leave you to waste your time working out what's wrong and then expecting you to wait until the manufacturer can be bothered to fix it.

Well played Sony / Virgin. Well played!

Be warned. Steer clear of these Xperias.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sadly your very wrong just look at the issue with tumble driers and that issue could cost you your home and life
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi ReturnOfTheMick,

Thank you for your post on the Forum and welcome. I'm sorry that you have been experiencing a problem with your Sony M5 handset connecting to available WiFi networks and having problems with the battery life. 

Have you been in touch with our Mobile Tech Support team about this? Checking on this, it looks like the last time you were in touch was in July. Please give us a call on 789 (from a Virgin Mobile) or 0345 6000 789 (from any other phone) or 150 (freephone from a Virgin Media landline) so that our team can investigate this for you.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos