Menu
SD01
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sony Xperia M4 Aqua ear speaker stops working

Phone bought in March 2016.

Ear speaker stops working and there is no consistent way to get it working again.  This happens in both normal and safe mode. (This problem is not limited to my phone - others are reporting the same issue.)

It seems this phone is not good.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sony Xperia M4 Aqua ear speaker stops working

Hi SD01,

Thank you for coming in and posting about the mobile's speakers, I'm sorry to hear this is happening.

I would like to ask if the speaker works whilst it's booting up and then not for any music, video or apps, or is this not working entirely?

Come back to me when you can.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
SD01
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The behaviour is erratic.  I can run diagnostics when the ear speaker is tested and does not work.  Run the diagnostic a second time and sometimes the ear speaker starts working.  If I shake the phone sometimes the ear speaker will work on running the diagnostic test a second time.

Booting in safe mode appears to make no difference; sometimes the ear speaker will work, sometimes it will not.

0 Kudos
slamdunkdafunk
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi SD01,

My Sony Xperia M4 Aqua ear speaker stopped working entirely. I did a search for repair suggestions and tried the following:

1. Reset the app preferences.

2. Repaired the phone by connecting to 'Sony Bridge for Mac' software (I'm sure there is a PC version if you need it).

3. Starting in safe mode (I see you've tried this one).

4. Plugged in earphones, played a tune on the walkman app then unplugged the earphones.

5. Factory reset (after backing up first).

None of the above worked for me but they have for others.

J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good points there Smiley Happy

HHowever  it seems from this forum that it's becoming an issue for these phones that it's a hardware fault, weather it's a poor batch or generally a week speaker that can't take full volume for long I've no idea, but I'd recommend calling in on 789

slamdunkdafunk
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

After more research I'm inclined to agree with you, JOhn. Thanks for your suggestion. Problem is, when I tried calling 789 to arrange a repair, it turned out that the IMEI number on my Virgin account does not match the IMEI number in the phone. Virgin are now carrying out the process of changing the IMEI number on their system to match the one on my phone, then they can take it in for repair. I have been warned that the record wait for an IMEI change is 3 months. The thing is, I got the incorrect IMEI number from the covering letter Virgin sent with the phone when I bought it, so it's not like I've stolen it.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi SD01,

Thank you for replying to me, it looks like you have already run some tests on your own that have certainly pointed out that the phone may need a look at. Please can you giev our team a call on 789/ 0345 6000 789 and we would like to arrange tis to be looked at.

Please stay in touch and ask me anything.

Ben

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Slamdunkdafunk,

Thank you for your time, I'm glad that a member of the Community has been able to offer some support, thank you.

I would like to mention obviously with the wrong IMEI, this would be worth looking at from an insurance perspective, do you have any mobile insurance or any third party insurance for the device? If so, I would recommend contacting them to make them aware of the new information in the case, (touch wood), the phone packs in and is covered.

Keep in touch and thank you.

Ben

slamdunkdafunk
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello BenD_H,

My IMEI has just been changed to the correct one. Only took 7 weeks compared to the record 3 months so i suppose I should be grateful.

I actually chose to not take out insurance but thanks for the tip all the same.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey Slamdunkdafunk Smiley Happy

Cheers for the message back to me, 7 weeks is probably the new record, which is good to know that's our turn around. You're welcome for the advice, I was just worrying as I have claimed recently and it came up in conversation. Better to know than not!

Take care and if you need anything please let me know.

Ben

0 Kudos