Menu
slamdunkdafunk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sony Xperia M4 Aqua ear speaker not working

Hello everybody.

I am hoping a community member can tell me how to fix my phone because Virgin mobile can't.

I bought the phone form Virgin in February and had four months of flawless service then the ear speaker stopper working. When I call people, they can hear me but I can't hear them. I now have to switch the phone to speaker mode as soon as they reply....so no privacy there then. Also, the phone will not make a ringing sound for incoming calls (despite this feature being turned on) so unless I feel the vibrations, I miss the call.

I have tried the following: resetting the app preferences, repair with 'Sony Bridge for Mac', start up in safe mode, plugged in earphones then played a tune on the walkman app then unplugged earphones, factory reset (twice).

I then called Virgin Mobile, was put through to the very polite call centre in Manila and arranged for my phone to be repaired. I had to quote the IMEI number and I found that on the covering letter from Virgin which was in the box when they sent me the phone when I bought it. They sent the phone straight back unrepaired with a covering letter explaining they couldn't repair it because the IMEI number I had quoted when I had arranged the repair did not match the IMEI number in the phone.

The Manilla call centre "sent a form to the back office" on 27th June to get the IMEI number on their system changed to the one in my phone. It's now 31st July and I am still waiting. They are not allowed to send me an email to let me know if it's done and they can't call me because I can't hear the incoming call. So I have to keep calling them to see if my IMEI has been updated....and were are now up to 17 wasted phone calls.

You'd think all they had to do was press a few keys on a keyboard but forecasts by Manilla call centre staff vary wildly on how long this takes from 24 hrs to "the current record is 3 months".

So, can any of you good community members suggest another way of getting Virgin Mobile to simply access a keyboard and change the last 7 incorrect digits on an IMEI number?

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sony Xperia M4 Aqua ear speaker not working

The imei is the legal ID of the phone and it illegal to tamper or change that. I'm not for one minute saying you have, but it's the reason that your finding difficult to achieve. The imei that is showing on your account should be correct as its a direct scan from the box at point of despatch. Have you checked the online account your self just to confirm this is correct or not?

I almost missed the point, it sounds like the speaker has blown, it's a fault that has been showing up on the forum a time or two sadly, so I expect that a repair is needed, a short term resolution is a cheap in ear Bluetooth  device.

slamdunkdafunk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, JOhn. As you have suggested, I have checked my account and it does indeed show a different IMEI number to the one in the phone. The IMEI number on my account also matches the one on the covering letter Virgin put in with the phone when I bought it so in this case is seems that my phone was not scanned at the point of despatch.

Thanks for the explanation of IMEI security. I suppose it's like a VIN number on your car.

I have asked for a large sized replacement SIM to put in an old phone to get me by while this problem is resolved and it arrived yesterday. I've activated it but after 24 hours the old phone is showing "No SIM card in phone" so right now I have two Virgin mobile phones and neither work.

0 Kudos
slamdunkdafunk
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Just to update anyone who is interested, the IMEI number on my account has finally been updated to the one on my phone. It took 7 weeks. The "technical department" in Swansea are now arranging to send me the packaging so I can send the faulty phone off to be repaired. 

0 Kudos