Menu
Meander
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sony M4 Aqua - Android 7

Hi, I bought 2 fones Feb 2016 as needed upgrade to use with new car. Upgraded one to Android 6 other remains at Android 5. My car infotainment system had new software installed to fix a bug. Now find I need Android 7 be use with car.  Sony not supporting M4 with Android 7 so fones now useless. Still paying VM for fones on 24 month agreement and Sony warranty is 2 year. I can't afford to pay £400 every year for replacement fones so where do I stand?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sony M4 Aqua - Android 7

I'm extremely surprised that your car system now requires Android 7.0 on phones to work. Most phones don't have this version yet, and there will be quite a few phones in addition to the M4 that'll never get it. Have you been given the exact reason why this is?

Saying that where you stand is that you'll need to continue to pay for your phones.

I appreciate the compatibility issues with your car, but Virgin Media sold you the phones as described at the time i.e. the phone on the Android version it came with and the tariff that it came with.

Virgin Media don't control or guarantee firmware updates will be released for any phone they sell, so unless there is an issue with the phone itself (rather than whether or not it connects to third party systems), or the tariff itself, then you're still getting what you signed up for.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I don't know of anyone who guarantees to keep phones updated. Apple offer updates to their phones for longer than most but upgrading an old phone can cause problems and performance issues. (Not a phone but just look at the comments on slow Tivos). I am surprised that a car manufacturer would provide a system that needs Android 7. This would rule out most of the Android phones currently in use.
0 Kudos
Meander
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Vauxhall infotainment bug fix apparently done to latest version. My fone with Android 6 no longer works with car since bug fix.  Fone gets hot and Android auto app goes haywire.  Spoke to Sony who said Google Android 7 roll out takes out some of their later fones. Feel this tech is running too fast, puters don't suffer the same rate of obsolescence.y

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Android Auto requirements are Android 5 onwards, if Vauxhall have updated their units so it only works with 7 - they have not kept to the Android Auto standards ?
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Meander
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Waiting for Vauxhall to provide date of tech service bulletin.  Looking at previous Car issues it is probably pre Nougat.  Resetting fone to Android 5 to see what happens.

0 Kudos