Menu
floppus
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sony Expedia and Virgin Mobile....Not Fit For Purpose...

Our household has been supplied with the full range of services by Virgin/Virgin Media for a very long time and by their predecessor NTL from their creation. There have been occasions over the years when I have looked at alternatives to the range of services provided and have indeed been on the verge of changing providers on more than one occasion when things have changed. Up to now, however, I guess that 3 mobiles (2 on monthly contracts,1 sim deal), Landline, 152 mb broadband, TiVo XL TV package with sports added generating over £1,500.00 per year of incremental income into the Virgin coffers has always given the detentions team some encouragement to offer good deals when I have threatened to cancel. 

Sadly no tweaks to my packages will prevent me from walking away when I am able to do so without penalty after a recent event, which although Mobile specific, reflects badly on the whole brand.  The details of our frustrations are as follows.

Just under a year ago my wife and I both received our upgraded virgin handsets both on 24 month contracts which continued to support our loyalty for the Sony brand which includes audio, video and camera items. I subscribe to a variety of open and closed forums to keep up with current issues. By chance I came across a thread  that was quite critical of the design of the Sony Expedia Z handset ,in particular the micro usb port and its common trend to fail.

Due to this connector being the common way of charging and some failures being reported in only 3 months of use we purchased a sony charging dock to restrict the use of the USB port to very occasional use, and when in use treated with great care.

When my wife's handset would not communicate via USB with our laptop, and on test would not charge through the same port we concluded that we had been struck by the common curse. After 3 fools errands courtesy of local Virgin outlets the phone was returned to tech services for examination.

Outcome......

Could not be fixed under warranty due to PHYSICAL DAMAGE. Repair charge £120.00.

Could be exchanged under our accidental damage insurance policy for a refurbished ? handset. Charge £150.00.

Despite my many references to widely published comments and findings on this issue neither Virgin nor Sony will acknowledge any responsibility, the most informative evidence on the Sony Consumer U S forum with over 185 postings on one thread alone. It would seem that the issue is widely known but the service providers around the world are standing together on the 'misuse' response. I am led to believe that Sony have made minor but effective mods to subsequent handsets.

I am further advised that BBC have been informed and that Watchdog are looking out for reported issues.

Virgin/Sony Expedia Z.      Not fit for purpose.

0 Kudos
floppus
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sony Expedia and Virgin Mobile....Not Fit For Purpose...

If anyone bothers to read this complaint I must point out that the predictive text worm decided that my Experia Z would be now known as an Expedia Z.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Also that retentions became detentions. Although some may argue that's fair comment LOL

My personal feelings about any Sony product aside

That sucks dude. But you are likely on a hiding to nothing. If you have exhausted the official lines of communication, repair under warranty etc, then posting here is unlikely to achieve anything except maybe helping your blood pressure.

I hope it has <-no sarcasm intended, its good to vent, especially if there is a clear issue its impossible to resolve.

Assuming you have gone down the line of rejecting the goods under sale of goods act etc, have you checked out protection afforded you under the consumer credit act?

Have you thought about small claims court?

0 Kudos
floppus
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

would anyone care to comment.......

PS

(I used to be a Mod but that was in 1962)

PPS

My predictive text insists that Experia should be Expedia.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

floppus wrote:

would anyone care to comment.......

Why? It just looked like you needed a rant.

0 Kudos
alpha123
Up to speed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

FYI it dosnt matter what you spend on home services it will never get you different treatment in regards to mobile

They literally treat home and mobile as two seperate companys, sure they give "offers" but thats all.

wether you spend 0 on home services or 2 grand a month that dosnt change the situation to the mobile team.

0 Kudos