Menu
jonnyfa
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Somewhat Unfair Charges on my Daughters account

My daughter added her friends mobile number over a month a go and has been merrily  texting away unaware that the number that she was given although correct and the text were getting thru was considered a "Premium Text" - The number she had entered started 44789.... and not 0789 .

Is this right , how it is considered a "Premuim Text" ? is it the same if it is +44 ?

Thanks

Jon

Helpful Answers
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Somewhat Unfair Charges on my Daughters account

Hi jonnyfa

+44 is just the international dialling code for the UK , so this isn't a premium rate SMS

I would, however, recommend changing the number in the handset to 07 instead of +44

if the number doesn't start with the + then it would go down as out of allowance charged . ( I have 2 contracts , one of which isn't Virgin and its the same for me Smiley Sad )

You can correct the number in the contact list and this would be all fine
Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

All Replies
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi jonnyfa

+44 is just the international dialling code for the UK , so this isn't a premium rate SMS

I would, however, recommend changing the number in the handset to 07 instead of +44

if the number doesn't start with the + then it would go down as out of allowance charged . ( I have 2 contracts , one of which isn't Virgin and its the same for me Smiley Sad )

You can correct the number in the contact list and this would be all fine

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

RJ2
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have had this on going problem with Virgin with every bill since I joined and I have not put in +44 in my saved numbers and when I get my bills Virgin decide to put some of my numbers with a +44 and charge a premium text, I have rang them on numerous occasions and they have told me they have a problem and they end up crediting me. I have just looked at my Jan bill and I can see already I have one premium text again and this should not be. I am beginning to think they are a bit like the way some supermarkets were until they were found out, advertising on the isles with one price and then charging a different price at the tills. I beginning to think it's a racket by Virgin to bring in more money and I am thinking of contacting OFCOM about this.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

RJ2

change it it 07 instead of 0044 or +44

that way there is no way of getting charged for it as a premium rate sms

OFCOM would only deal with complaints over 55 days I believe so they wouldn't get involved with such query unless you have made an official complaint and gone through the motions of escalating this

RJ2
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I never have had the number with +44 in front of it and that is my point, yet Virgin still in my billing put it down as if I have and then go on to charge me a premium text. Even if one had +44 in front of it they should not be charging premium text.

With regard to your comment on OFCOM, point taken.

Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

it is really weird that its still charging you incorrectly

its a simple fix to change it to 07

only really matters if u leave the UK Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RJ2
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I agree it is weird and that was my point when I originally rang Virgin to point it out. The first time I pointed it out they told me they were aware of this anomaly and were working on it. But every bill has had this problem since.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If these texts are being charged at 15p each, this problem has been posted quite a few times over the last two years.

To me it seems to be a problem with the number not registered on Virgin's system as a UK mobile number properly.

I'm not convinced it to do with having the number as +44, most of mine are stored that way and have not ever been charged yet.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

+447 is fine 447 isn't

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I agree with teabag here.

Try, deleting the phone number and full contact details of the problem number, the reboot the phone (switch off then back on) re-add the number using the 07 prefix and try again, it may resolve this for you
0 Kudos