Menu
tinyf
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

SmartCall

Is there any benefit in using SmartCall if I already have Talk Unlimited anyway?

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: SmartCall

The benefit would be being able to use your home Talk Unlimited plan while away from home in the UK or abroad, you would just need to be connected to a reasonable WiFi with your mobile phone or tablet.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
tinyf
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you teabag. I was a little confused as I have Talk Unlimited on my home phone and unlimited minutes on my Virgin mobile pay monthly account. As calls to other UK mobile networks aren't included with Talk Unlimited and most of the mobile calls I make are to mobiles on other networks there doesn't seem to be any point in me paying the extra to upgrade using SmartCall. 

0 Kudos
Sappermajor
Up to speed
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you are abroad you can use Smartcall to call home for free and any other number on your calling plan. That is the advantage -  if it works.

teabag
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

With Unlimited minutes on your mobile there would be no point in you using Smartcall here in the UK, but would be usefull for you to use when on holiday abroad - to phone standard UK landlines and Virgin mobiles for free.

Not sure I have read and understood your last bit right
"there doesn't seem to be any point in me paying the extra to upgrade using SmartCall."
There is nothing to pay extra to use Smartcall.
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
tinyf
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to confuse you, teabag. Upgrading to Talk Unlimited Extra would give me unlimited calls to mobiles on other networks, I think, but I don't make enough calls to warrant it. Bottom line for me is that I don't go abroad enough and have unlimited calls at home so SmartCall has no benefit.

tinyf
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, sappermajor. As I thought. There's no benefit for me as I have unlimited minutes at home and rarely go abroad.

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am pretty sure there is some saving with it for home use (i.e. not abroad) but I will need read it again.

It would help if you had a poor coverage where you are (home or out and about) and can connect to WIFI to make call AFAICS.

http://about.virginmedia.com/press-release/9404/make-a-smartcall-with-virgin-media-and-set-your-home...

The savings SmartCallers could make include:

• Up to £25 a year when calling 0845 and 0870 numbers from a mobile phone
  • £3 per call to 118 directory enquiries by accessing Virgin Media directory enquiries from your mobile2
  • £24 on roaming costs when in Europe £108 from the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand and £180 from the rest of the world3
  • A PAYG SmartCallers could save up to £75 a year on top ups

That was in 2013, from this month I am sure those numbers up top are now free from VM landlines (may depend on package)

teabag
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Jhuk said:
"That was in 2013, from this month I am sure those numbers up top are now free from VM landlines (may depend on package)"

Yeah article that is quite old now and those figures are way out now. 

Was it not mobile sims that changed this month to include those numbers and not landlines?.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

tinyf wrote:

Sorry to confuse you, teabag. Upgrading to Talk Unlimited Extra would give me unlimited calls to mobiles on other networks, I think, but I don't make enough calls to warrant it. Bottom line for me is that I don't go abroad enough and have unlimited calls at home so SmartCall has no benefit.

Cheers tinyf, I'm with it now. lol

Landlines are getting quite expensive now compared to mobile,

Landline: talk unlimited extra = £31.99 @month + cheap phone.

Mobile sim: £12 @month + cheap phone.

Both unlimited calls, include 084 and 087 numbers, landline gives 118180 free, mobile sim gives 2gig data free.

Mobile sim will also include allowance use in the EU in 2017.

Question for anyone, when did 118180 calls cease to be free on Virgin mobiles?.