Menu
darthvalkyr
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Slow 3G in Grantham

Just got back in town today from my holiday (UK), and the 3G speeds have dropped from around 3-4 MBps to around 0.4Mbps. Seems very slow compared to what I was getting before I went away, Have tried a network settings reset on my iPhone 6, and cleared the browser history and cache, but this has not made any difference. I can only presume there is some sort of local fault/ over utilisation causing such a crippling slowdown??

Can't blame the phone hardware, as it is getting full speeds on WiFi and call reception is fine.

Only other question is whether there is a way to force a re-download of the carrier settings, if my network settings reset wouldn't have done this?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow 3G in Grantham

Hi darthvalkyr,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with Slow 3G in Grantham.

I'd like to help you get this sorted.

There are no faults currently listed for this area at the moment.

Sometimes data usage can come under our fair usage policy which may result in slower speeds. I've included a link here to our fair usage terms. 

How has the 3G service been since?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
darthvalkyr
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

A little better today; 0.66 down and 0.55 up. Still slower than normal, although my usage is a tad high this month at over 3GB
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi darthvalkyr,

Thanks for getting back to me.

It does sound like the fair usage policy is going to be a main factor in the speeds you are seeing. 

See how it is over the next few days as the fair usage policy runs up to the end of the calender month.

Speak soon

Take care

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
darthvalkyr
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Was under the impression that fair usage capped to 2Mbps but I've been getting much slower speeds than that. Happy news that it will be ending in 2017 due to new EU regulations recently agreed though which will end roaming costs and throttling.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi darthvalkyr,

Thanks for the reply.

According to the fair usage policy speeds can be restricted down to 384kbit/s downstream, 200kbit/s upstream.

Depending on when you signed up to your contract the threshold for hitting the fair usage policy can be 2GB or 3.5GB.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Speak soon.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

0 Kudos
darthvalkyr
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I signed up around 9 months ago on the unlimited SIM only. Can you clarify the specifics that apply?

Is there any progress in bringing the Wifi hotspot app over to iOS as well, as this could have avoided a large amount of my usage?
0 Kudos
darthvalkyr
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Much better today, as you can see below. 

Don't normally go over fair use budget, but was streaming some TV while away. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi darthvalkyr,

So it looks like it probably was a result of fair usage as the speed has gone back to normal today which is the start of the calender month.

According to the fair usage policy you can use up to 3.5GB and then the policy would kick in.

Regarding the WiFi hotspot app being made available on iOS I will look into this for you and get back to you.

Speak soon.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi darthvalkyr,

The WiFi hotspot app is currently available for iOS and has been for a couple of weeks.

I've included the link here for you.

Let me know if you need anything.

Take care

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

0 Kudos