Menu
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sim not detected/Sim blocked??

Been using my sim in phone for several months, all OK. Yesterday, went to send a text, phone shows 'emergency calls only' so checked the settings, and under networks & connections, checked mobile network, says 'sim not detected'.

switched off, removed battery & sim, replaced both and rebooted.  phone now states 'sim blocked' 

tried another sim (sons) in my phone, all works OK..replace VM sim, again 'sim not detected' tried VM sim in sons phone, works OK, returned VM sim to my  phone,  'sim blocked'  yet sons £ sim is OK?? so can't be the phone? yet VM sim OK in sons phone?? 

Really need the phone, but not much use if not working??

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sim not detected/Sim blocked??

Hi HughJarsse

Sorry to hear there's been some issues with your SIM card/handset.

It's certainly an odd one as you've described both the SIM and the handset work okay, but just not together!

The first thing I'd advise is giving the SIM card a wipe with a dry and letting us know how this goes.

It's possible the SIM is not being read correctly by your handset (In different handsets, the contacts can touch slightly different parts of the SIM which could explain why it works okay in your son's phone.

Could I also check if both handsets and SIMs are supplied by Virgin Mobile, or from different networks?
Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Mark_Y wrote:

Hi HughJarsse

Sorry to hear there's been some issues with your SIM card/handset.

It's certainly an odd one as you've described both the SIM and the handset work okay, but just not together!

The first thing I'd advise is giving the SIM card a wipe with a dry and letting us know how this goes.

It's possible the SIM is not being read correctly by your handset (In different handsets, the contacts can touch slightly different parts of the SIM which could explain why it works okay in your son's phone.

Could I also check if both handsets and SIMs are supplied by Virgin Mobile, or from different networks?
Many thanks

Hi Mark, 

My VM sim was working fine in my phone, but then started this 'sim blocked'  & 'sim not detected' business of it's own accord.

My son's sim (He is on '3' network, for some reason, my original post changed this to a '£' sign?) works in both phones, yet my VM sim will work in his, but not mine.

Strangely, my sim did start working again after 3 attempts, but then packed up again later on in the day. It seems to work for a while, then pack up, then work a while again.

Have tried the sim in a spare phone for the day, and it does the same, works a while, then stops, then works a while, etc, also, now does this on my son's phone as well, (poss we didn't try it long enough previously?) so does seem to be a sim problem? I have tried cleaning contacts on the sim with a cotton bud, but no joy...

HughJarsse.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi HughJarsse

Thanks for getting back in touch with us about the SIM issues and for letting us know what actions you have taken to try and rectify this intermittent SIM issue.

Now that you have eliminated the possibility of the SIM not connecting with the handset, then the next step would be to get in touch directly with Mobile Tech on 0345 6000 789, or if the SIM is currently operating okay for you, then 789 from the handset itself. It would be option 2 then option1 for Mobile Tech from 0345 6000 789 or option 0 from 789 when you call in. It does sound like you need a SIM replacement to correct this issue.

If you've already got in touch and they have successfully arranged to replace the SIM for you then that's fab!

Keep us posted Smiley Happy

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

OK, update on this...

Finally managed to get through to VM, and after a bit of a fight with the VM staff (they insisted I reset phone, did hard/soft resets, etc, etc, despite telling them I had already tried that and swapping sims to another phone, and that it  was their sim that was faulty!!) she agreed to send another replacement SIM out, and I should receive it in a couple of days.

3 days later, nothing...Was told Yourhell (sorry Yodel) was the courier....sim finally turned up after 5 days, via Royal Mail!!!????

So, 'activated' the sim online, as old one would not work...24 hours later, nothing..... took over 30 hours before phone became active!!

Worked OK for a week, then...'sim blocked' AGAIN.. reset, all OK for a day, then  'sim blocked' Now back to the original 'is/isn't working' scenario where never sure it is OK or not!!

Have now purchased a '3' PAYG sim, and this has worked faultlessly in the phone for over 2 weeks...

The 'replacement' VM sim, (being used in a spare phone) STILL drops out with the 'sim blocked' message at various times and intervals, sometimes once in a  couple of days, other times 2-3 times a day!! So, it proves this is not the phones but VM's SIM again....

Really cannot face the hassle of trying to contact VM again, to get another replacement sim, (which probably won't work anyway) so seriously considering the 30 day notice, PAC code and swapping to '3'.

Currently on good 30 day rolling deal with VM, but not much good if unable to use the phone half the time.....

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

so, obviously nobody interested??

'keep in touch, let us know how you get on' was the staff reply...

2 weeks, nothing??

As stated, paying for something I can't rely on or use...'3' here I come..VM, 30 days notice and I'm gone...

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So much for staff wanting me to 'keep in touch, let us know if you need anything'...

4 weeks on.....NOTHING...NOBODY interested.........NO HELP AT ALL............

Obviously now being ignored by the 'staff' who appear to be slowly deserting this board, replies taking longer and longer to filter through (if at all!!)

staff input must be at an all time low now,  and appears to be the  'stick to the script' type being followed by the muppets on the phone lines...

No actual 'help' more the tried and trusted 'give us a call on ...' reply...

As mentioned, 30 day notice going in, will move to another supplier ('3') that actually offers real help to it's customers...

sadly, am also looking at removing 4 other phones, and the whole TV, BB and phone package to other suppliers, as VM no longer even make the most basic attempts to sort out 'paying customers' problems, despite cheerfully informing me that my bill will increase by £5 per month, but I will get better services for the money!!!!  Yeah, sure!!!

£130+ per month VM have from me, but not for much longer!!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi HughJarsse,

I'm sorry that your replacement SIM card isn't working and also for the time it's taken to respond to your post. 

Have you had any problems with your other mobiles, or just on the mobile with the replacement SIM? I can order you another replacement. Even though it's odd that the replacement SIM would also be faulty, it can happen. 

If you would like for me to do this, just pm me with your mobile number and I'll get this ordered for you.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Terri_P wrote:

Hi HughJarsse,

I'm sorry that your replacement SIM card isn't working and also for the time it's taken to respond to your post. 

Have you had any problems with your other mobiles, or just on the mobile with the replacement SIM? I can order you another replacement. Even though it's odd that the replacement SIM would also be faulty, it can happen. 

If you would like for me to do this, just pm me with your mobile number and I'll get this ordered for you.

Kind regards,

Hi Terry,

The replacement SIM plays up in 3 different phones, all of which work OK with another SIM in, ('3' network for reference).

It appears that whichever phone the VM SIM is in, suffers this intermittent problem, but does not with the '3' SIM's in.

Process of elimination would support the VM SIM being faulty, it appears.

As this is already a replacement SIM, and the associated 'hassle' getting this one organised, was more than the result was worth, I am as mentioned looking to move to '3' when this month is over, and I can give the required 30 days notice on the SIM, and obtain the PAC for it.

VM have no 4G ('3' included at no extra charge)  '3' has far better signal strength & call forwarding,  the benefits are there to see.

0 Kudos