Menu
manteray
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sim card not detected in new phone.

Hi.

I just purchased a Elephone P8000 flagship chinese phone, my sim is not detected in either sim slot, other network sims are detected, i have tried 2 other virgin sims including my partners which all work in other phones, just not this one. Is there a reason for this? i have rebooted the phone 10 times per sim in each slot and nothing happens, as soon as i put in another sim(o2 and 3) it is detected instantly, any advice would be great as i dont want to change provider...EDIT: the virgin sims tested are not old, 1 was purchased yesterday.

many thanks.

Neal.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sim card not detected in new phone.

The EE (forbidden) is a bit of a red herring. AIUI It means that EE is in the forbidden list programmed onto the SIM. This is to be expected as this is a Virgin SIM. VM don't want you to connect directly to EE, you should only connect via the Virgin overlay. So the questions are why isn't a Virgin SIM correctly registering and why isn't Virgin visible in the network list?

I suspect that an EE SIM, if you had one, would work just fine. It would also be interesting to discover if an Asda SIM exhibits the same problem as Virgin since Asda are also a virtual operator running on the EE network.

Also are you able to check if the Virgin SIM works in the secondary slot if the Three or O2 SIM is active in the primary slot?

A search on Google suggests that the problem is a known issue with the Elephone firmware. It's unclear to me if there is a proper resolution. Solutions seem to involve flashing the phone with a custom ROM, flashing with an earlier version of the Elephone ROM or sending the phone back as faulty. Flashing the phone might brick it and might void the warranty so I don't recommend it. 

All Replies
Stythinator
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Sounds to me like the Phone you brought does not allow Virgin Media Sim-Cards.

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

If an O2 and a Three SIM both work then the handset must be unlocked so it would be reasonable to expect that the Virgin SIM would work.

I wonder is the phone set to a 4G/LTE only or preferred mode. Both O2 and Three provide 4G service as does EE. Even though Virgin Mobile is a virtual network run on the EE network they only allow 2G & 3G service except on some business only tariffs.

Have a look in the network settings, probably Settings>Wireless and networks>...More>Mobile networks>Preferred network type. Try to set WCDMA (preferred)/GSM or 3G or WCDMA only. Restart the phone with the Virgin SIM and see what happens.

Else I would try and beg, borrow or steal an EE SIM and try it. If it works then the issue must lie with Virgin Mobile or the Virgin SIM

0 Kudos
manteray
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The phone is unlocked, and you cannot change settings for sim when the sim is not detected, the settings are blanked out, as soon as another sim is detected all settings are unlocked, then i can change to 3G/4G or whatever, i did notice when i looked into mobile networks, virgin is not in the list.

LIST: O2-UK 3G/O2-UK 2G/3 UK 3G/Vodafone UK 3G/Vodafone UK 2G/ EE 3G(forbidden)EE 2G (forbidden)..

I wonder if this is the reason the sim is not working, having forbidden networks? this to me seems rather odd, but then i am no expert.

My phone can take: 

Support 2G network: GSM 850/900/1800MHz

Support 3G network: WCDMA 900/2100MHz

Support 4G network: LTE-FDD 800/1800/2600MHz

I think i am covered with this spec, all networks should work.

The main reason to stay with virgin is the top up card, and the bigger point is! you dont lose the top up money each month unlike other companies. O2 only gives you 30 day's for 500gb data/1000texts/250 mins(and once that is up you lose the bundle as well as your top up). Virgin 1GB data/3000 text's/free calls to the misses(priceless) you do the math ...My misses is on Virgin(free calls) plus we have Internet/Tv/Phone with them...Basically full package, i dont want another company im happy with virgin...So i seek a way around this if possible.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Interesting that it is showing EE as forbidden. Virgin run on EE

Guess trying and EE SIM might narrow things down.

The frequencies are OK

0 Kudos
manteray
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

This is the issue, i dont know anyone with a EE sim, i already purchased 3 virgin sims and 2 O2 sims, not buying more network sims now.

I contacted EE, asking the the same questions, so far its a blank..Why does the network show as EE (forbidden), they said there is no reason for this and the sims should work fine, i contacted Elephone direct when i purchased the phone, they said "All UK networks using the bands(bla bla) should work on this phone" this includes virgin, they told me to send the phone back as it must be faulty(sim reader), it turns out the phone is not faulty because the replacement phone is doing the same thing.

Online research isnt giving me answer's, hence why im now in the big boys forums..

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The EE (forbidden) is a bit of a red herring. AIUI It means that EE is in the forbidden list programmed onto the SIM. This is to be expected as this is a Virgin SIM. VM don't want you to connect directly to EE, you should only connect via the Virgin overlay. So the questions are why isn't a Virgin SIM correctly registering and why isn't Virgin visible in the network list?

I suspect that an EE SIM, if you had one, would work just fine. It would also be interesting to discover if an Asda SIM exhibits the same problem as Virgin since Asda are also a virtual operator running on the EE network.

Also are you able to check if the Virgin SIM works in the secondary slot if the Three or O2 SIM is active in the primary slot?

A search on Google suggests that the problem is a known issue with the Elephone firmware. It's unclear to me if there is a proper resolution. Solutions seem to involve flashing the phone with a custom ROM, flashing with an earlier version of the Elephone ROM or sending the phone back as faulty. Flashing the phone might brick it and might void the warranty so I don't recommend it. 

manteray
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Elephone P8000 is indeed notorious apparently, the odd thing is the sim does work and showing EE(not virgin) when the phone was flashed to a stock rom(original release rom) for 5.1 android. But with this stock rom many other things dont work, mainly the front camera and other niggly things, and when updating(by wireless update) you get all the phone functions running perfect but NO sim detected, i flashed the phone with all 11 stock roms(do not want to trust XDA modded roms),and the results are the same from number 2 to 11, being only number 1 worked with the sim.

I have tried both sims in at the same time, O2 and Virgin, obviously the O2 works, i also switched them over and also tried to change settings in network, you cannot change any settings with a NON detected sim, but you can with the active sim, so i tried to change settings to see if anything changes, nothing at all....You wonder if the sims work in another phone? just in case i purchased 3 duds!! They do work just fine(samsung Galaxy Ace), fully detected instantly the phone comes on, all sims are NEW with the newer bundles(not the older ones), all sims are micro/nano current style.

I posted on Elephone forum directly(very very very slow in answering and still waiting) posted 5 posts 5 days ago, nothing so far, they say the Android 6 is coming(already shipped with New P8000) and that was promised 4 months or more ago.

Its a silly shame really, the actual phone is cheap but has great speed, does more than i require and at a fast pace, why cant they sort this out, or indeed why cant anyone sort this out.

I cant keep buying sims to try, but i will seek out an EE sim tomorrow and maybe a ASDA(wont promise) one too, i already purchased more than enough sims...But i will do a test just for you.

0 Kudos
manteray
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ok this is the result of testing 3 sims today, 1 EE, 1 Asda(EE),1 Vodaphone. all 3 are detected. In picture 2 you will see the Asda sim installed in sim 1 and virgin in sim 2(also switched them both) and only the Asda is detected, see picture 3. As you can see in picture 3 you cannot change settings for sim 2, only in sim 1.

The Virgin sim is not detected in any form, now you see my dilemma...I dont get why Virgin is not being detected when it should.

Anybody know why?

2016-04-03 13.21.36.jpg

EE see pic 12016-07-11 12.42.36.jpg

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

"Elephone P8000 is indeed notorious apparently, the odd thing is the sim does work and showing EE(not virgin) when the phone was flashed to a stock rom(original release rom) for 5.1 android. But with this stock rom many other things dont work, mainly the front camera and other niggly things, and when updating(by wireless update) you get all the phone functions running perfect but NO sim detected, i flashed the phone with all 11 stock roms(do not want to trust XDA modded roms),and the results are the same from number 2 to 11, being only number 1 worked with the sim."

I suggest that you have answered your own questions. The information above supports that widely available on Google. The original stock ROM works, subsequent updates don't. So apparently the resolve lies with Elephone.

The phone displaying EE as opposed to Virgin should be OK as Virgin is run the EE network. Older phones might even show T-Mobile. The network identifier table that controls what is to be displayed is out of date.

I would return the phone and demand a refund. Or port the number to Three. 

0 Kudos