Menu
HT3
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Send and receive SMS via the web?

Ok, so I'm not a huge phone user and it spends most of its time at the bottom of my bag with a flat battery (yes, I'm of that generation!).  However, text seems to be what the rest of the world around me uses, including people who come to do work on my house.  As I spend much of my time in front of a PC for work, it would be really helpful to be able to send and receive texts online.

I'd preferably like my texts to look like they come from my phone number, so that I can also pick up the texts with my phone.  I may be asking for the impossible but I know so little about phones, I thought I'd just ask.  Yes, I only have a PAYG sim.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Send and receive SMS via the web?

Not as popular as it once was. 

There are still a few Web to SMS sites on the web but they seem designed for bulk sending. 

I used this in the past and if you have an Android phone you could give it a try

https://mightytext.net/

0 Kudos
HT3
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Send and receive SMS via the web?

Hi enlli and thanks for your reply.

the link you sent is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, except that I don't have (and don't want) a smartphone.

A friend has told me that people in the US are using 'Google Voice' for this in the US - sadly it's not available here.

It does look like Virgin doesn't offer anything like this, so I'll have to continue my search elsewhere.  I've been told some of the other UK phone providers do have options like this, but I guess these might be smartphone-only too.

Thanks Again!

0 Kudos