Menu
Annielou
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Scam

I have been charged £18 for Premium texts from oxygen8 which I have not entered nor asked for. I have been in touch with Virgin who passed the 'buck' 3 phone calls and email to cancel whatever and no one seems interested only others people that have been 'scammed' so I have now Cancelled my Direct Debit from my bank to see if this brings results ???? Any one with more ideas as I have given up.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scam

Cancelling a direct debit will simply give you a bad credit rating and possibly bring the debt collectors round, you are far far better off getting issues sorted even if it means escalating it again and again 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Annielou,

as dannylau says, cancelling your direct debit is likely to only add to your woes.

Premium texts are a subscription based service, providing some sort of content such as news, games, competitions etc.

You will at some point have needed to sign up (perhaps you did so accidentally, e.g. not ticking a box or something).

Texting back "STOP" or  “STOP ALL” should end the service.

Try entering the number into EE's Third Party Services Checker to see if that gives you contact information for the company and contact them directly.

Or this site PhonepayPlus. They are the UK regulator for premium rate services

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Cancelling a direct debit will simply give you a bad credit rating and possibly bring the debt collectors round, you are far far better off getting issues sorted even if it means escalating it again and again 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Annielou,

as dannylau says, cancelling your direct debit is likely to only add to your woes.

Premium texts are a subscription based service, providing some sort of content such as news, games, competitions etc.

You will at some point have needed to sign up (perhaps you did so accidentally, e.g. not ticking a box or something).

Texting back "STOP" or  “STOP ALL” should end the service.

Try entering the number into EE's Third Party Services Checker to see if that gives you contact information for the company and contact them directly.

Or this site PhonepayPlus. They are the UK regulator for premium rate services

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Annielou
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your reply and I had second thoughts this morning and rang Virgin to re-instate the D/D and they gave me a number to ring to put a stop to these scams. Which I have just done. I feel peeved to have been caught out but another lesson learnt ????

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Annielou,

Thank you for your messages into the Community, it's good to see a new face, welcome in.

I can see that you've already made some progress in this and have been able gain some realy good advice here, (thank you guys). I know too well this can be frustrating when it comes to these scams. I'm glad that you've been able to get in touch and we've been able to help you. I would like to mention that if you do need any further information, please let me know.

I know that in instances where you can identify the copany responsible, you can try and claim back if this was not your own doing.

Good luck and please stay in touch.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos