Menu
pincroftwizard
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Scam

Like other users I have been scammed when using Argos online shopping. Thought I was being offered chance of free Argos voucher but got text from Prizehook.com saying you have just joined.   They immediately deducted £4.50 from my mobile account. I immediately replied STOP but too late the money had gone.

What can be done about this?  Can they be blocked?  Internet search shows they are well known scammers.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam

Hi pincroftwizard,

Virgin aren't able to block these premium texts for you.

Texting back “STOP” as you have should hopefully end the service.

If you feel that the way they signed you up was deliberately misleading. Report them to PhonePayPlus - 0300 30 300 20
They are the UK regulator for premium rate SMS.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
pincroftwizard
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam

Hi AlexKid

Sorry but was looking for more help than that from Virgin. As suggested I provided details to PhonePayPlus and they replied that they had many complaints on this scammer but did not have enough evidence of "non-compliance" and could not take any further action.  But it was in on their watch list and would keep the company under review.   Wrote to Argos customer support and they said best thing is to stay away from PrizeHook.  Hopeless - they sounded like a call centre in the Orient. Went to my local Argos store and told the manager that their  good name was being used to fraud customers with premium rate texts. He immediately sent an email to the Argos company directors, so some good might come from this.

Talk Talk offer Mobile Barring.  If it happens again I will no longer be a long standing loyal, customer of Virgin

0 Kudos