Menu
hansi
Superfast
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Scam text and call

My wife had a text supposedly from VM last week to say that her mobile contract was up shortly (which it isn't as it's up in May) and she has since received two phone calls from 0800 183 6403 offering her an upgrade. I told her to hang up on the call. Has anyone else had this call?

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam text and call

Seems you are not the only one ....

http://who-called.co.uk/Number/08001836403

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes it's a Virgin mobile sales number.

Block the number on the phone or ring 789 and ask to be removed from the marketing call list, seeing your only a few months away from the contract end, they try and get you back on again early before you go elsewhere, be aware that if you do upgrade early - they will sting you with having to buyout/pay for your last few months left on this contract :-(
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
hansi
Superfast
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry but I don't buy that . The previous post is right I guess. My contract is up in April and I haven't had a call or text
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just tap the number into the forum search, you'll see other posts with that number and all the other 0800 numbers they use :-)
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to ask the @ModTeam to give a definitive answer as to whether or not this is a genuine sales call.  There's so much misinformation on the net, that sometimes it's best to get the proper answer correct from the horse's mouth as it were.

Virgin can check to see whether a call was made and when, as the call should be logged on the account somewhere on their system.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 said: "
Virgin can check to see whether a call was made and when, as the call should be logged on the account somewhere on their system."

I doubt any logs would be made from unanswered sales calls, only when answered and security passed and account has been opened?, would be good if it does though - it would show how much harassment it can do to some people, myself the other year was receiving 3 to 4 calls @day on 3 different phones for the Broadband/TV side :-(
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@teabag  If an outbound call has been made then usually it should be logged even if there is no reply.

However, the OP stated that the call was answered and an upgrade offered.  Even if the recipient of the call hangs up without verifying who they are, the attempt should be logged.

The reason all attempts are logged is because OFCOM lays down guidelines on how often callbacks should be made, etc companies need to be able to show they are adhering to those guidelines.  Even if the call centres are offshore - Virgin Media is based in the UK.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

This sounds as if it would have been a genuine call from ourselves - it's certainly our number.

On occasion we do contact customers with the opportunity to take up new deals before the end of their contract, so you can enjoy 4G or a new handset sooner rather than later.

Thanks

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide