Menu
Nath316
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Scam Phone Numbers

So I have a question

We all know what the numbers of phone scammers are and we can find them online if required.  So why don't mobile companies stop them from using the network?

There are apps out there which are free or paid for which will hang up / block them from a phone (I use one) but surely the compaines themselves know the numbers, so why don't they filter them out ie not let teh call connect up?

As example a number I know of is 0808-145-0360.

So VM why don't you block them at source?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scam Phone Numbers

Nath316 wrote:
Yes all that is true and I know that there are millions and millions of calls / texts each day, however, they have to connect which means even if the call is spoofed to another number if enough people report it to the operator then they shoudl block that number?

If a legitimate organisation is being harmed by this then they should be informed and change their number maybe.

Again, I'd say you're aiming this at the wrong place.

If a customer turns blocking on either by ACR on the landline or via an app on your mobile, that's fine as it's your own choice and doesn't affect a company running a number (for anyone else apart from you) or other customers of that phone network.

Mobile phone providers have to work within the regulations and the law, so they can't unilaterally block certain numbers across the board unless directed to do so by the appropriate authority.

Improper use of the telephone network is a criminal offence, so needs to be investigated by the appropriate regulator or authority.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Nath316 wrote:

So VM why don't you block them at source?

As far as I'm aware, there are lots of agreements and regulations about how phone companies process calls i.e. there are guarantees that calls will be allowed through on the network and billed appropriately.

There are many regulators that have the responsibility to identify and take action against fraud, malicious and other calls and the companies and individuals that make them.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/complain/phone-and-broadband-complaints/privacy/

It's also possible to 'spoof' a number, so the number you see on the phone may not be the number the call is actually coming from.

0 Kudos
Nath316
Dialled in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ben

Yes all that is true and I know that there are millions and millions of calls / texts each day, however, they have to connect which means even if the call is spoofed to another number if enough people report it to the operator then they shoudl block that number?

If a legitimate organisation is being harmed by this then they should be informed and change their number maybe.

I know it would make the vast majority of users happy.

This post is not aimed at VM but all operators in general

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Nath316 wrote:

Again, I'd say you're aiming this at the wrong place.

If a customer turns blocking on either by ACR on the landline or via an app on your mobile, that's fine as it's your own choice and doesn't affect a company running a number (for anyone else apart from you) or other customers of that phone network.

Mobile phone providers have to work within the regulations and the law, so they can't unilaterally block certain numbers across the board unless directed to do so by the appropriate authority.

Improper use of the telephone network is a criminal offence, so needs to be investigated by the appropriate regulator or authority.

0 Kudos