Menu
Ian19681
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Samsung j3

Does anyone have the answer for the issue with getting the Samsung j3 to connect to virgins wifi hub. I'm getting to the point of returning the phone, to virgin who sold it to me.....tried everything on the forums but no luck. Any help out the I'm sure others have had one for xmas 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Samsung j3

The j3 has a really poor wifi chip which means it cannot connect to 5ghz. You might need to change your 2.4ghz wifi channel in the hub 3 settings

All Replies
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The j3 has a really poor wifi chip which means it cannot connect to 5ghz. You might need to change your 2.4ghz wifi channel in the hub 3 settings
Ian19681
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou for this. We are now religiously going through all the channels to see which one holds the signal. If none do then the phone is going back. According to the forums read so far it appears to be the virgin hubs that the j3 does not like. Is this a fact or does it have problems with others?
0 Kudos
Ian19681
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Given up with it. Contacted virgin who are cancelling the phone contract, sending a package to return the phone and then we will arrange for an S series that we know well and works. My advice, stay clear of the J3 at all costs. 

0 Kudos
Ian19681
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Got there. All set up. If anyone wants to know how then please ask and will post what I did.
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Post it anyway, as I'm sure it will come up in the future and then we can refer people to this thread ---- Ta

0 Kudos
Ian19681
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Whether this will work for everyone I'm obviously not sure but it certainly seems to be a problem with the connection to the hub. The "free" tablet (Alcatel Pixi 4) that came with the phone had the same issues but here is what we did.

In router advanced setting. Switched to 300 mbps (may be 500 which ever, it was the next option down the list of 3) from 144 which stated that you should get a "stronger signal" but less range. I live in a 4 bed semi and the router is in the middle of the house and I have seen no difference to range what so ever. 

I then set up a guest SSID which the 2 machines now connect with. This may have something to do with the "-" in the main account SSID. But who cares they  now work. No drop out whatsoever since I made the changes. Whether the phone will work at anyone else's house remains to be seen.

It appears that the "new" machines bought this year have been the issue so whether there is change in software I'm not sure.

Good luck with your J3's

0 Kudos
Vdubber
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the posts. I have a j3 via virgin mobile. I hve the hub2. So hve the option to connect to it on 2.4ghz or 5g.

As you hve said, the J3 will not connect to 5g. My Sony experia M4 could connect to either. My older s4 did connect to 2.4ghz no problem.

Now when I purchased the J3, it connected to 2.4ghz no issues. A Few weeks ago, I noticed that I had no wifi connection. Even if I go to a wifi hotshot or into fast food place with free WiFi it does not connect. I keep getting authentication error pop up.

Usually when you set up a new phone, virgin send you a series of text messages to configure the phone. I think one of these is to set up wifi. Can I get them resent to see if this helps my issue?

PS. I find the J3 a better phone than the Sony Aqua.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Vdubber
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi all me again. I searched on Google. This problem seems to be more persistent on virgin mobile. The most complained about is virgin. No one seems to know why. Surely tech bods at virgin can tell us why and how to fix it? I tried a factory reset which wipes the phone in case of any corrupt wifi issues. No joy.

I went to local free WiFi superstore. I can connect no problem. I also gave my phone to my works IT dept. They connected to Thier wifi and again no problems. To me this points to the phone being OK.

Please could someone who works for virgin post on here how to resolve. What is the point of giving a phone out if it won't connect to the wifi?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Vdubber,

I'm sorry to hear that your Samsung J3 is having problems connecting via your home WiFi connection on your Virgin Media SuperHub 2. Has this been sorted out for you?

The text message you refer to when first setting up your phone is the APN settings text, which sets up mobile internet and messaging on your handset. You can have this resent to your phone here: Phone Settings - just search for your handset, go to Messaging and How Do I manually enter Mobile Internet & Picture Messaging settings? And from here you will see an option at the top to download the settings to your phone.

If you would like for me to look into this and also check into your SuperHub 2, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos