Menu
Don3
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Samsung J3 list of contacts

I have just purchased a Samsung J3 and input my contacts.   I am surprised to find that when I key in a name about 10 or 12 suggestions appear of people  with similar names that I have never heard of and sometimes with their e-mail address.  Is this anything to be concerned about?   Is it possible that this is not a new phone, but one that was pre-owned.     Explanations gratefully received by an 83 year old!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Samsung J3 list of contacts

That does not seem right. What happens if you start to type a number into your Google search bar? If some suggestions come up other than a link to the google website then I suspect you are right that the phone has been used before.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm assuming that these rogue contacts do not appear in your address book / contacts program. Which as I say is strange.

Is the phone actually synchronized with a google account? 

Can you go into settings/ application manager / contacts and see if there is a clear cache setting. If so clear it and see what happens

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Samsung J3 list of contactsf

100% not right. I would have serious words with Virgin. I could probably clear it if I had the phone in my hands, but the question remains that this does not seem like a new phone? I suspect someone has tried to clear things before resale and something has been missed somewhere. Even a factory reset leaves stuff in memory even if it is not easily accessed.

Getting 789 to cooperate is not going to be easy

0 Kudos
Don3
Tuning in
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi,

Many thanks to everyone who have contributed with possible solutions to my problem.   First of all apologies for not posting a reply sooner, but we have moved house, and have been without telephone and broadband for a few days.    The good news is that the problem of the hundreds of unknown contacts on my new phone is now solved.    I took the opportunity of paying a visit to our local Virgin shop and the guys there were very helpful, and spent time investigating the problem.    The conclusion was that there was nothing wrong with the phone, but a problem with Google/Android operating system.

They suggested deleting my G-mail account, and that did the trick!      The only contacts I now have on the phone are those that I have entered myself

I have no more idea now than when I started as to how these contacts got on to my phone, but very pleased that a solution was found.

0 Kudos

All Replies
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That does not seem right. What happens if you start to type a number into your Google search bar? If some suggestions come up other than a link to the google website then I suspect you are right that the phone has been used before.

0 Kudos
Don3
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for prompt response - I did as you suggested and entered a number e.g "1" or "2" etc and in each case either the contact list started with names I have never heard of, or it started with a list of all my contacts interspersed with "strangers".    Do you think this is something I should take up with Virgin?  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm assuming that these rogue contacts do not appear in your address book / contacts program. Which as I say is strange.

Is the phone actually synchronized with a google account? 

Can you go into settings/ application manager / contacts and see if there is a clear cache setting. If so clear it and see what happens

0 Kudos
Don3
Tuning in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I found contacts under application manager, "cache" was shown as 0.00B   and "clear cache"  was therefore not applicable (in fact greyed out).  This phone does not come with an SD Card, so everything is on the SIM card.      Is it possible therefore that the SIM Card Virgin sent me to insert into the phone was being re-used and old data had not been cleared from it?

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Easy way to tell would be to remove the SIM and let the phone run on wifi only. Then see what happens when you type in numbers

0 Kudos
Don3
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - removed SIM card, went into contacts - entered a number, and the usual spurious names and e-mail addresses occurred. The interesting thing is that the number features somewhere in the contact address.
For example if I key in "3" then I get "##############yahoo.co.uk" also" ###########hotmail.co.uk" and then there is "############hotmail.co.uk". All nice people no doubt but they are not my contacts. I am getting a bit fed up with Virgin as the previous phone they sold me (a ZTE) was also rubbish!

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Samsung J3 list of contactsf

100% not right. I would have serious words with Virgin. I could probably clear it if I had the phone in my hands, but the question remains that this does not seem like a new phone? I suspect someone has tried to clear things before resale and something has been missed somewhere. Even a factory reset leaves stuff in memory even if it is not easily accessed.

Getting 789 to cooperate is not going to be easy

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

That would be personal and private information that seems to have found its way on to a 'new' phone. 
OK , I realise you have to delete it, but it would have been nice if you offered to help the customer at the same time.

0 Kudos

0 Kudos
Don3
Tuning in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your help - as you say it is unlikely that I will get any help from Virgin .    They will not want to admit to incompetence.

0 Kudos