Menu
FoyleFlyer
Dialled in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Samsung Gear VR

Hi, I purchase a Samsung Gear VR 2 days ago but have been unable to get it to work with my Samsung Galaxy Note 5. After a lot of research on various forums I found that some ISP's had to provide a software fix for the 3 Samsung mobiles - S6, S6 Edge and the Note 5 before the Samsung Gear VR would connect properly. Admittedly the ISP's in question were in the USA but it may apply here in the UK as well. Can anyone provide any advice or assistance with this issue? Many thanks in advance. 

Samsung UE55HU8500 Curved 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart TV; Samsung WAM250 Wireless Audio Hub; 2 x Samsung M5 Medium Wireless Audio Multiroom Speakers; Onkyo HTX-22 HDX 5.1; Sky HD+ Box; VM Tivo (+ add box); WD TV Live Hub Media Centre 1Tb; Samsung BD ES6000E; Bose Wave Music System ll with Wave iPod dock; Chromecast; iPod Touch; SG Note 10.1; SG Tab S 8.4" LTE; SG Note 5; VM BB 200Mb;
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Samsung Gear VR

As far as I can tell, the Gear VR isn't supplied by Vrigin Mobile, and as such it's not supported. You'd need to find out what Virgin would need to do to make it work from Samsung or the other forums, you can't reasonably expect Virgin to do that legwork for you. Even then, you'd be at their mercy as to whether they can actually make the change you need, because it might be a setting that would stop something else from working, or you might find that they won't make the change simply because there's not enough demand to justify the necessary testing.

0 Kudos
FoyleFlyer
Dialled in
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

This is a Users Forum - my post was not aimed at Virgin Mobile but rather any users who may have encountered the same problem. I would normally contact Virgin Mobile directly, and will tomorrow, for any advice on problems which would come under their auspices. If you read my post you would see that I had spent over 2 days looking for a solution which included contacting many other forums on which I read that Samsung had advised their Samsung Gear VR customers that their ISP would have to provide a software fix for their mobiles from their, the ISP's, end of things. There wasn't any further input about the subject only that it worked. In my post. I asked anyone on this Users Forum who had any information about the fix to let kindly let me know about it! I would never ask anyone to do any kind of legwork for me on any matter so I would advise you to read all posts more carefully before making such accusations about expectations in a reply! Thanks for nothing! 

Samsung UE55HU8500 Curved 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart TV; Samsung WAM250 Wireless Audio Hub; 2 x Samsung M5 Medium Wireless Audio Multiroom Speakers; Onkyo HTX-22 HDX 5.1; Sky HD+ Box; VM Tivo (+ add box); WD TV Live Hub Media Centre 1Tb; Samsung BD ES6000E; Bose Wave Music System ll with Wave iPod dock; Chromecast; iPod Touch; SG Note 10.1; SG Tab S 8.4" LTE; SG Note 5; VM BB 200Mb;
0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

FoyleFlyer

what issues are you having with the Samsung VR?
Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
FoyleFlyer
Dialled in
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. When I insert my Note 5 into the Gear VR and place it on my head there is supposed to be a voice message prompt to take the Gear VR off and download the Oculus software. This does not happen. I checked quite a few forums and found a number of other Gear VR users (all in the USA) have had the same issue and they were advised by Samsung that they needed to contact their ISP (mainly Verizon) and download a software patch fix for their mobile for Gear VR to work. This seems to have solved their problem and that is why I used the VM Forum to see if any users had experienced the same issue. 

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi FoyleFlyer

As its not a Virgin product its difficult to diagnose , however, as a Samsung VR fan myself then lets try and have a whirl and getting it sorted Smiley Happy

ive had quick look online and it says to make sure the screen lock is off

the software update maybe on the handset itself, its probably under Settings > about phone > software update. Check if there are any updates.

ill post more if I find anything else Smiley Happy

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Just another question

I read online

The Galaxy Note 5 was launched alongside the Galaxy S6 Edge+ at an event held in New York City this past Thursday. Among the items missing from the event was a new version of the company’s Gear VR headset to be compatible with the Galaxy Note 5. Unfortunately for Gear VR owners, the Galaxy Note 5 won’t fit the virtual reality headset designed for the Galaxy Note 4. It looks like consumers will have to wait until the company releases a new headset designed specifically for the Galaxy Note 5.

when did you purchase the VR ?

0 Kudos
FoyleFlyer
Dialled in
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I bought the new version last Friday and it only works with Note 5, S6 & S6 Edge.
0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Did you check if your handset had the latest software? I take it as its a NOTE 5 its not a virgin branded handset as I know they don't sell this

What version is on at the moment?

0 Kudos
FoyleFlyer
Dialled in
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it is unbranded - Version 5.1.1 Checked for updates but informed software up to date.

0 Kudos