Menu
Marco1974
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

SIM card still has old number (pre-port) on it! Help!

Hi,

I recently joined Virgin, has a SIM sent to me and then had my old phone number ported across. Everything works fine calls, texts, etc...) BUT...

When I go into Settings-About Phone-Status-SIM Status under "My phone number" it still has the number that the card came with rather than MY number. As a consequence certain apps use the original number which could be problematic at some point.

Is there an easy way to change the number held on the SIM to my actual number?

(My phone is an unlocked Vodafone Ultra 6 and isn't rooted).

Thanks

Mark

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: SIM card still has old number (pre-port) on it! Help!

Hi Marco1974

It does seem rather strange.

Sometimes a few reboots of the handset may correct this as the phone should read the data for things like.. IMEI / sim status / sim number / in service or not etc.

Have you also tried a factory reset?

Also which phone app uses the original sim number?

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
Marco1974
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have rebooted the phone a number of times but it's made no difference. The app that reads the original number is WhatsApp (although there is a facility to change the number within the app).

I don't want to factory reset just yet, but as my screen has a crack in it and it was covered, I will be getting a new handset soon so will try the SIM card in that (or maybe order a replacement) and let you know.

Thanks for the advice,

Mark

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

To change the number within whatsapp , you can do the following ( please don't quote me verbatim )

Within the apps FIRST page, where you have at the top
CALLS - CHATS - CONTACTS

At the top right corner of the screen you would have 3 dots
click this

go to settings

account

change number

let me know how u get on Smiley Happy

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

WhatsApp links to the device not the SIM card. I.E you can take the SIM card out of the phone put it in another & WhatsApp will still be working on your first device. (Although obviously you can't then install WhatsApp on the second & expect it to work on both devices at the same time).

I think it's quite common for the original number to still be displayed on the SIM after porting (one of my phone's does). However a quick Google suggests that some phones do have the ability to edit the SIM number. (If your's doesn't perhaps you could borrow one).

AlexKid :-)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Marco1974 wrote:

...When I go into Settings-About Phone-Status-SIM Status under "My phone number" it still has the number that the card came with rather than MY number. As a consequence certain apps use the original number which could be problematic at some point.

Which apps need to know your number?

The multitude of posts expecting Virgin to reimburse premium SMS costs are a direct result of people with zero concept of privacy unknowingly giving the world their phone number. They grant apps (like Facebook) access to the number, and the app sends that data to its developer who is then able to sell it on to direct marketing companies.

My handset doesn't know my phone number. I don't get premium texts or scam phone calls. It's not exactly rocket science.

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

To be fair , WhatsApp is an excellent app. Ive had this for years and never charged for a premium rate sms

any app that you install would tell you what permission it needs to the phone. Most premium rate SMS are instigated either via the web or shortcode.

0 Kudos