Menu
Moolby
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

SIM card registration failed

PAYG Nokia 1100 on Virgin Mobile for several years, have always used within the 3 months req'd by contract. Now I get "SIM card registration failed" when turning phone on - has appeared since 3 Dec 2016. Didn't have this problem on 1 Dec 2016. I last phoned someone on 6 Oct 2016. Putting postcode (in Marlborough, Wiltshire) or phone number on Virgin Media website service checker doesn't work; putting IMEI number on Phone Fix doesn't work; all their agents are repeatedly busy. I have tried cleaning SIM card and phone as suggested on forums - makes no difference. Please help.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SIM card registration failed

Hi Moolby,

on the older tariff's it's 90 days. Take a look at clause 3.8 of the Old Terms and Conditions.

3.8 Keep talking!: You need to use our Services at least once within any 90 day period either by making a chargeable call or sending a text message. If you don’t we may suspend your access to the Services and cancel this Agreement. If we cancel this Agreement, you may lose your phone number and any unused Top Up credit on your account (see Clause 10.3). We don’t really want to lose you as a customer so please ensure you keep talking or texting!

If you did not let your call connect then there will have been no chargeable action.

Top up cards expire but you can request new ones. Meanwhile you can always top up via voucher code or by linking a credit / debit card to your account.

Your SIM card will not expire whilst it is in use (although you may wish to upgrade).

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Moolby,

are you able to log into your Virgin Mobile account and see the number?

0 Kudos
Moolby
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, AlexKid

I did not set up an account when I bought the phone.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Moolby,

I think that you need to speak to customer services:

Free on 789 from another Virgin mobile / 150 from a Virgin landline and ask for Mobile.

Or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone (standard rate call).

0 Kudos
Moolby
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I wrote to Complaints, Virgin Media, PO Box 333, Matrix Court, Swansea SA7 9ZJ on 15 Dec 2016 and have not had a reply - my phone still gets the same message and it is now 90 days since I last made a call from it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Moolby,

When you say that you called someone on 6th October, did you allow the call to connect?

So that it was a chargeable call and your PAYG credit balance was debited?

0 Kudos
Moolby
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I let it ring a few times.  I've always understood that using the phone every 90 days was sufficient to keep the contract going regardless of whether I received an answer.  On checking the Ts&Cs they say:

7 When we may suspend or disconnect our services

(a) We may suspend our services or disconnect any SIM card(s) from the network without warning if:

. . . 

(v) you choose not to make a call or send a text message for 180 days or more.

So even by that rule I am well within the 180 days since I last used it.

I am about £2 in credit but have just noticed that the E-top up card supplied with the SIM says on it:

E Top-up Card Expiry    11/14.

So it looks like I wouldn't be able to use that either.

I can see no mention of a SIM Card Expiry date.

I shall probably end up getting another phone on a different network.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Moolby,

on the older tariff's it's 90 days. Take a look at clause 3.8 of the Old Terms and Conditions.

3.8 Keep talking!: You need to use our Services at least once within any 90 day period either by making a chargeable call or sending a text message. If you don’t we may suspend your access to the Services and cancel this Agreement. If we cancel this Agreement, you may lose your phone number and any unused Top Up credit on your account (see Clause 10.3). We don’t really want to lose you as a customer so please ensure you keep talking or texting!

If you did not let your call connect then there will have been no chargeable action.

Top up cards expire but you can request new ones. Meanwhile you can always top up via voucher code or by linking a credit / debit card to your account.

Your SIM card will not expire whilst it is in use (although you may wish to upgrade).

0 Kudos
Moolby
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you AlexKid for your continued interest in my problem.  The Ts&Cs you refer to are slightly different from those in the joining pack I received all those years ago.  However, if as Virgin Mobile says: "We don’t really want to lose you as a customer" perhaps a text from them before cutting me off would have enabled me to ensure they didn't - they have sent me many texts suggesting I top up for additional minutes etc in the past so, even though I didn't register my phone, they were obviously still able to contact me.  And on that subject, a later clause states:

"5.3 Significant changes: We will notify you at least one month in advance of any change coming into effect if we make any changes to your Agreement, the Services or any Additional Services you are using, or to the Charges for any Services or Additional Services you are using, which are likely to be of material detriment to you."

I'm sure you'll agree that "you choose not to make a call or send a text message for 180 days or more" and "You need to use our Services at least once within any 90 day period either by making a chargeable call or sending a text message" are significant enough changes that are likely to be of material detriment to me - i.e. a chargeable call requires me to make sure the phone is answered and therefore uses up some of my PAYG charge whereas making a call which isn't answered (which I can't control) means I've still used my phone but have not incurred any cost.

Your help, AlexKid, is appreciated, but I think I need to take this elsewhere.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Moolby, 

I am sorry to learn about the issues you have faced with your mobile sim card and what sounds like a deactivation, I would like to look into this for you, so that I can do this I will need to gather some information about the account, so that I can do this I will I will send you a private message. 

To pick this message up, please click on the envelope on the top right hand corner of the page. 

I look forward to chatting with you soon, 

Kelly 

0 Kudos