Menu
SIRTOBY
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

SIM WON'T WORK IN OLD PHONE

I have a pay as you go sim that I want to use in my old Samsung GT-S7500 since I am now on a sim only contract with a different phone.  But it won't work and I can't even call out on the phone to 789.  I have been trying to email with all the details but your website is no longer showing this option.  Every email I try keeps bouncing back and I am resorting to this way of communicating as your live chat is constantly unavailable due to everyone being busy.  Is this phone locked and if so, how do I go about unlocking it.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: SIM WON'T WORK IN OLD PHONE

Does it give error messages like SIM not recognized etc? If so, it would be locked.

* If it had been locked by VM you would have to pay a £15.32 unlock fee. You would have to call 0345 600 0789 from another phone to request the unlock or try your luck getting through via the web chat (mobile category.) As you've encountered it is often busy, you need to hit the page reload button every 1-3 minutes and check again for a chance of getting through to someone on the mobile side.
* If you got the phone from Orange / T-Mobile (now both called EE) then this page is relevant: https://ee.co.uk/help/getting-started/joining-ee/unlocking-your-device
* If you got it from any other company, contact them ask them to unlock it - usually there is a fee involved

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
SIRTOBY
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I did purchase the phone from VM on a two year contract.  Sometime after the contract was up, I switched to sim only on a different phone.  No, it does not say SIM not recognised.  It appears to be ok, until you try to text or phone. How can I tell if it is locked?  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Usually either SIM not recognized or please put in a unlock code message. Though some phones may behave differently error wise. When you check the phone network settings (not WiFi) - what does it say? Allowed to connect mobile network or not?  Is the PAYG SIM also with VM or another provider? If the PAYG SIM is from another cellular provider then it'll be down to the phone being network locked and you'll need to pat VM £15.32 for it to be unlocked.

However, if the PAYG SIM is from VM then it shouldn't have any issue.

Edit: Adjusted typo etc.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi SIRTOBY,

you say the SIM is pay as you go.

When was the last time the SIM was topped up or used to make a call/text?

AlexKid :-)

0 Kudos
SIRTOBY
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi AlexKid, 

It is new sim and not been used yet.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi SIRTOBY,

so it is a Virgin Mobile SIM?

Perhaps it needs to be activated first.

Is it connecting to the network, what does your screen display?

0 Kudos
SIRTOBY
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

It does not say sim not recognised and it does not ask for an unlock code.  It shows networks available are Virgin, O2 and Vodaphone .  When I try to register on Virgin it says registering on Virgin for a while, then says "unable to connect, try later".

It is a PAYG from VM.  

0 Kudos
SIRTOBY
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alexkid, 

Yes, it is a VM sim.  I thought it may need registering, but I can't even call 789 to do that.  I can't the phone or text to it either.  It shows Virgin as avail, but won't connect.  Keeps saying unable to connect, try later.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi SIRTOBY,

assuming that the network/signal is OK, it sounds like you might have a faulty SIM.

Are you able to use your other phone to call Virgin customer services?
789 / 0345 6000 789

0 Kudos