Menu
Vlad
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

S6 black screen

My galaxy S6 has been unresponsive before causing me to restart the phone by holding power+volume down which worked, then i came across the so called black screen of death and had to hold power+home+volume up which caused the android boot menu to load and i could then reboot. But now the black screen has reared its ugly head and nothing will work at all.
Any thoughts on this?
0 Kudos
Coughcake
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: S6 black screen

I would imagine you will call the mobile service centre and end up in the same position as me- sending your mobile back for repair and hearing nothing about how they're going to replace it for at least 10 days. Good luck!

Vlad
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Im trying all the different reset combinations i can find before that as im dreading going down that route.
Coughcake
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Totally understand- I did the same with my iPhone and really keeping my fingers crossed you don't have to send it back. I'm going to an actual mobile phone shop this afternoon to get my son a new phone because I'm not going to upgrade with Virgin (or any online company for that matter) again. Good luck

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Take it to your local mobile repair shop and ask if they will certify that it is not water damaged. This is a trivial check on my Galaxy S4 but it might be a bit more involved on the S6 because of its all-metal construction. If you can get it certified, keep hold of the certificate.

Then, send it back to VM, quoting the Sale of Goods Act. Virgin are the retailer, with whom you have your contract of sale. You can reasonably expect to get the full six years of life from your S6 that are stipulated in the SoGA where it must be free from manufacturing defects. In the first six months of those six years, the onus is on the retailer (not the manufacturer) to prove that it is not an inherent fault. After that, the responsibility lies with you. I know you are within the necessary timescale simply because I know when it was released. You get the certificate mentioned in the first paragraph because there's a chance VM will come back with the "water damage" excuse to absolve them of their responsibilities. (A trick used by all mobile operators.)

If anyone mentions "warranty repair" - stick to your guns and get a replacement under SoGA. Warranties are additional to your consumer rights and are a way of driving a wedge between retailer and consumer so that manufacturers can get involved in faulty products. A warranty makes it easier to get your gear fixed in the 6-12 month period, but (as the adverts always say) they do not affect your statutory rights.

Let us know how you get on.

Vlad
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Gorf i like your thinking.
0 Kudos
Vlad
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ok i didnt trust any of the mobile repairs near me so i took a chance on regular service. Took loads of good photos from many angles showing no physical or water damage and said so on the letter that went in the box with the phone. They fixed whatever the problem was and used DPD thankfully to return it and its in full working order. So kudos to the samsung guys.
0 Kudos