Menu
l3ighl3igh
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

S5 and S6 unexplained data usage

Hello, hoping someone can help explain or point me in the right direction. I'm not at all techy and this is really bugging me.

My phone, S5 neo, is using data hourly.  I have copy pasted a segment of my recent usage for example.  I was away from home on this night.  I left wifi range at roughly the same time my phone used the internet at 5.16am.  It continues to use data hourly, on this occassion right up until the time I returned home to my wifi the following day at 1pm.  It used 5.51mb despite me being asleep. Today while at home, I turned the wifi off and I sat and physically watched my phone for 1.5 hours and there was no indication at all that my phone was using data, yet it shows up on my recent usage that it did.  I did not use my phone at all except to keep it awake, just sat and watched it!

16 May 22:44 Using the internet   Yes 463KB £0.00
16 May 20:44 Using the internet   Yes 5.51MB £0.00
16 May 18:43 Using the internet   Yes 492KB £0.00
16 May 16:43 Using the internet   Yes 2.50MB £0.00
16 May 15:43 Using the internet   Yes 1.13MB £0.00
16 May 14:43 Using the internet   Yes 332KB £0.00
16 May 13:43 Using the internet   Yes 202KB £0.00
16 May 12:43 Using the internet   Yes 215KB £0.00
16 May 11:42 Using the internet   Yes 185KB £0.00
16 May 11:39 Using the internet   Yes 38KB £0.00
16 May 10:33 Using the internet   Yes 476KB £0.00
16 May 09:33 Using the internet   Yes 267KB £0.00
16 May 08:33 Using the internet   Yes 207KB £0.00
16 May 07:32 Using the internet   Yes 217KB £0.00
16 May 06:32 Using the internet   Yes 217KB £0.00
16 May 05:32 Using the internet   Yes 228KB £0.00
16 May 05:16 Using the internet   Yes 38KB £0.00

My partners phone, an S6 does the same thing however working from home means the phone rarely leaves wifi range.  I did notice however that his phone did the same thing for a period of 4 hours despite him being at home and connected to the wifi.

I have googled but not found anything that has helped to stop it or at least let me understand what it's doing.

Many thanks!

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: S5 & S6 unexplained data usage

When the phones go into standby, WiFi is turned off to preserve battery. Any background programs that need data will take it from your mobile allowance.

You need to turn mobile data off to prevent this.
0 Kudos
l3ighl3igh
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.  My phone is set to keep wifi on during sleep.  When I am at home the hourly data usage stops until the following morning when I leave the house again.  The first time it uses the internet in the morning is practically as soon as I've shut the front door.  Every morning, without fail.  Mad as it sounds it's almost like it is waiting for me to leave home so it can use the internet :/

The data usage I am talking about is when I am away from home and not connected to wifi.  I guess I am hoping to track down what is the phone is using the internet for every hour so I can turn it off and save data.  I am away from home quite regularly.  I am aware I can turn mobile data off but it's not really ideal.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I didn't read your post properly. The question is almost always based on the handset being within WiFi range.

One thing you might try is turning off GPS. If you're phone is getting a position lock when you get out of the door, it will contact Google to let them know (as might any other location-based apps).
0 Kudos
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Go into your phone settings and then select "Data Usage". This will bring up a chart of this month's usage with an itemised list of the recent top mobile data using apps below.
You can move the left hand marker on the chart so that only today is highlighted and the list below will only contain the mobile usage from today. This can be useful to help determine what is using the data.

If you so desire you can also set a mobile data limit in there (the red horizontal line) so that you don't get charged for going over your allowance - also set the correct day of month on the billing cycle.
0 Kudos
l3ighl3igh
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both.  I have turned off everything I can think of and the phone is set to do any updates over wifi only.  I did not think about GPS so I will give that a go.

I took my phone to a virgin store at the weekend and they couldn't explain it either.  Looked at my recent data usage which showed google services to be at the top.  After that, they didn't offer any help or suggestions.

I have set the data limit and changed the billing cycle.  I guess I'm just obsessed a little with finding out what it is that this phone is doing using data hourly when I am not connected to wifi.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If I remember correctly the times are when you are billed for the data for the previous hour. So it may be a number of short connections in that time.

0 Kudos