Menu
WG1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Roaming

My partner had a new mobile, new sim, new contract (pay monthly) recently. On Pay as you Go he had roaming switched on. He is now in Majorca and roaming is not working. I looked up his Virgin account and turned roaming on 2 days ago but this has not worked though his account recognised he is with Orange currently. He removed the battery today and then replaced it, in the hope of making the phone reboot - it searched for networks but then reverted to Emergency calls only again.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Roaming

Hi WG1,

as well as switching on Roaming in the account did you check that "International call barring" is set to OFF

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You say, a new sim/contract recently, it could be a possibility that Virgin have barred roaming untill 3 monthly payments have passed.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

teabag wrote:
You say, a new sim/contract recently, it could be a possibility that Virgin have barred roaming untill 3 monthly payments have passed.

I initially thought this too but all I could find on Virgin's website is "if you've been with us for less than three months".

The post suggests that the user was "pay as you go" and has recently switched to "pay monthly".

Does the "three months" start from entering into pay monthly or being a Virgin Mobile customer?

AlexKid :-)

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

AlexKid wrote:
"Does the "three months" start from entering into pay monthly or being a Virgin Mobile customer?"

I have no idea, with the vague way Virgin's T&C's are wrote on the website - they could be taken in any direction you like :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
WG1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just to confirm, he has been a Virgin customer for many years but changed to pay monthly less than 3 months ago
0 Kudos
WG1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

The 3 months does indeed start from being a Pay Monthly customer. PAYG has roaming enabled by default for customers.

I hope this clears this up. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
WG1
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Very disappointed that someone who has been a customer of Virgin for 20 years on PAYG can not use his new phone because he has to have been on the new contract for 3 months before he can use Roaming again. He should have been warned when he was advised to change from PAYG at the Virgin shop in Bristol in February.  It has left him out of contact at an important time, and out of pocket because he is paying for a phone he can only use to call emergency while he is away.

Kirkby49
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Mat,

You consistently give well meaning, honest advice on these forums.

However, I think we all know Virgin has issues in respect of Roaming.

Why wont Virgin address the issues as a matter of urgency?