Menu
JohnGlasgow
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Roaming text charges

I am currently in Portugal and almost every day my mobile account is charged  £0.05 with several roaming text charges to the number ********************. This happens whether I have actually sent a text or not. I have both wifi and data roaming switched off. In the last 12 days I have been charged with 23 texts and only about 7 or 8 are legitimate. Can you explain?

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Roaming text charges

Nope. Are all the 'illigitimate' text to the same number?

Data  and Data roaming off will not make a difference to text

0 Kudos
JohnGlasgow
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

yes, all to the same number

0 Kudos
JohnGlasgow
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

all to the same number but so are the legit ones

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like you may be getting charged more than once for the same text

0 Kudos
JohnGlasgow
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

how do I get someone from Virgin to check it out??

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi JohnGlasgow,

Thanks for taking the time to post this from Portugal. I deeply apologise for being charged for extra text messages you've not sent.

You can call the team from the UK on 789 from a Virgin Mobile, 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone. Alternatively, you can speak to the web chat team. If you want to call from abroad then the number is +447953967967 but keep in mind the costs involved.

I'm curious to hear the outcome so please keep me updated.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
AdeHewitt
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the same thing is happening to me, though I'm in Menorca.  All from the same number, which I don't recognise.  It's happening 2 -3 times every hour.  The charge is just 1p but I'm out here for another few weeks and it's mounting up.

0 Kudos
JohnGlasgow
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I got absolutely nowhere when I contacted Virgin Media, the girl there didn't appear to understand that the number on the text is some sort of routing number in Virgin to which all the texts are delivered from the Portugese provider. She was going to send it to another department for them to check out, I am still waiting 2 months later. I am back to Portugal next week so I will keep a record of all texts and compare to the charge when it arrives. At least the charge has now gone down to 1p from 5p.

I don't hold out much hope of a satisfactory answer.

0 Kudos
AdeHewitt
Joining in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I share your frustration, John.  If Virgin just told me that I would be charged say, 30p a day for using my phone abroad, I'd have probably said 'fair enough'.  But to add sneaky charges with no explanation is not right in my book.

I'll call them when I'm back in England and endeavour to get an explanation, and IF I do, will update you.

0 Kudos