Menu
a11
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Roaming not working

Last year in Sardinia neither my husband or I could get any connection although roaming was set and the phones could 'see' networks including TIM and Vodafone. It was never resolved during our stay

This year mine works fine, his doesn't. When I try ringing 789 on his behalf it tells me the technical dept is not available. No email address or contact form available. It really is poor service compared to other providers we have used in the past!

How can we resolve this?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Roaming not working

Virgin seem to have a hit and miss policy on Roaming. Sometimes turning it off then on again in your account settings works 

Phoning Virgin from abroad the number is +447953967967

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi a11

Thanks for taking the time to pop by with your roaming post query and my apologies your husband had issues accessing this with us on his mobile, on your most recent trip Smiley Sad

It you're still abroad, there is some great help regarding roaming abroad available on our Roaming sticky on the forum.

You can also access your account and you can check if your roaming is active by logging into Your Account.

Click on plan and device > Click the tab manage services.

Make sure roaming is set to ‘on’ here. If it isn't move the tab to ‘on’ and click ‘update’. You’ll then get a green success message. Please be aware that it can take up to 24hrs for this to go live on your account.

Please double check that call barring to prevent calls abroad is also not set to 'on' too as this may prevent access.

Once you've checked all this, then you could try:

• Turning your phone off and then back on again
  • Go into your phone settings and select a network manually.
  • Try removing your phone’s battery, while it’s still switched on – this helps reboot it and find a local network.

If after all the above has been tried you still have no access then if you could contact our teams via +44345 600 789 from a roaming handset or land line so we can take a further look into this for you

Please let us know how this goes for you.

Take care.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
a11
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen

No luck with that phone number. It appears to not be a valid number according to the automated response. Very unimpressed with this service.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi a11,

as enlli stated in his response.

Calling from abroad, Virgin's UK support line number is: +447953 967 967

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
a11
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My husband eventually got through on my phone and spoke to someone who said the problem couldn't be resolved once we were in Italy. He had telephoned beforehand to check roaming was set, but only used the automated route (which assured him  he was good to go etc). She told him that he should have spoken to a real person to get it set up, and not relied on the automated system.

This is obviously a recurring  problem with Virgin so why don't they just change the advice to - speak to a real person before you go.

So he's  now had 3 weeks without the use of the phone and a lot of time spent on mine trying to sort this out...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi a11

Thanks for getting back in touch.

I'm sorry to hear this has been the outcome of the conversation.

The roaming should be enabled if the automated system advised this, so I'm really sorry if this wasn't the case.

We can't guarantee the roaming service will work correctly for the current trip if it's activated after you've left, but often it will work once the service has been fully activated.

I've dropped you a PM with some more information - please respond to the PM directly and we'll get you some help with this.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos