Menu
Mattime0
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Roaming issue

I visited Sweden some weeks back, enabled roaming before I left and my account told me to pack my bags as it was ready, however whilst in Sweden (Stockholm and Luleå) i was unable to use the roaming internet despite ordering a 10MB package. I followed every step I could find while I was out there, including restarting my phone, going into safe mode to clear the cache, basically everything I could possibly think of or find on the internet (on Wifi).
When I returned I called Virgin to get a refund for my package, and the person on the other end of the line assured me that it wouldnt happen again and i should call before I go on my next trip to double check everything is set up.
My next trip to sweden rolls around, I call Virgin to ensure roaming is enabled, they confirm that it is and I buy a package on the phone for the trip, however I land in Luleå and I can confirm, once again, roaming is not working.
I have a samsung galaxy S4 and have restarted it a number of times without avail. Can anyone offer any assistance? Ive been with Virgin a long time however if I can't get the roaming working I may have to cancel my contract.

Any help getting this working would be great,

Regards,

Matt
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Roaming issue

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm very sorry to hear you have not been able to use the EU data pass for your past two visits to Sweden.

I'll happily help provide a resolution to this problem but first I need more information. Could you please answer the following questions:-

Did the phone connect to a local network?
Did it work for calls and texts?
Did you turn on 'Data Roaming' within the handset?

That last question is where most people slip up as it's usually found in settings. It's not your usual swipe of the notification screen. To check if this is enabled please follow these steps:-

Apps > Settings > More Settings > Mobile Networks > Data Roaming > OK.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Mattime0
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply. I can confirm that it does connect to a network, I receive a text when arriving in Sweden welcoming me to the country, and calls and texts can be sent and received.

In the below settings that you suggested, Data Roaming is turned on and has been on for both trips, it's the first thing I turned on before going to Sweden months ago. I've also tried restarting my phone, taking the battery out for a hard reset, and connecting to different available Swedish networks (other than the "recommended" that it automatically connects to) and the internet works for none of them.

If you have any ideas of how to get this fixed please let me know.

Regards,

Matt
0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

if it connects to the network and you receive a message that you arrived then this is a strong indication that you would be able to make calls etc.

As for data roaming, this MAY need to be provisioned on the account because data charges can be expensive abroad

The networks you can connect to in Sweeden are

Tele2 - Comviq
Telia
Vodafone

If the data roaming is active on your account then you may need to purchase a "EU ROAMING" pass , which are charged at the following rates

Mobile Web 10MB Travel Pass = £1.40 Text 'BUY 10MB' to 23456
50MB Travel Pass = £6 Text 'BUY 50MB' to 23456
250MB Travel Pass = £20 Text 'BUY 250MB' to 23456

hope this helps

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
Mattime0
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your response. I can confirm that both times I have been in Sweden I have bought a 10MB pass and have received SMS to confirm that the pass is active. I have connected to the networks you have stated and they still do not give any roaming internet access, despite me having the 10MB pass. When I called Virgin she confirmed Roaming was active on my account when she processed my 10MB package. And it is not a fault with the phone because my roaming works completely fine when in the UK.

If you have any further suggestions it would be helpful.

Regards,

Matt
0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I think we need to check your account to ensure "DATA ROAMING " is provisioned on the account. Roaming would just allow phone calls and texts, by default I belive data roaming is off

The only further suggestion would be to speak to customer services and ask hem to make sure data roaming is ON

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

0 Kudos
Mattime0
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee,

But the Virgin Operatives have checked the account twice and have said Data Roaming is on. The first time was when I returned from Sweden originally, the Virgin Staff Member stated that my account had Data Roaming on but that I should call back 3 days before I go to Sweden again just to confirm. I called days before I travelled the second time and another Virgin Staff Member confirmed Data Roaming was on before she processed my package request.

I do not want to call while I am Sweden as it will cost a lot of money to call, more than the package I wanted to buy, and I have already called Virgin twice to check the settings.

Thank you for your assistance, but if you can provide any further assistance it would be appreciated. If it is not possible to go any further would you suggest switching to a different network?

Regards,

Matt
0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

how strange :s

is Data roaming definitely enabled on the handset?

settings > mobile data > data roaming ( I think it is )

0 Kudos
Mattime0
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee,

Both Mobile Data and Data Roaming boxes are ticked.

It is a very strange issue. Is there anything else I can try? Apart from maybe trying it in a different country...

Regards,

Matt
0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am completely baffled if im honest.

Unless you speak to our Tech support team there isn't much more I could suggest ( my area of expertise at Virgin isn't tech im afraid, I work in another area )

I think tech is the way forward

0 Kudos