Menu
basilfaulty
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Roaming in Majorca

I have been a customer many years, used roaming before with no problems etc.

It is not working, when I needed it most. Yes, it is set up. Yes, I have tried other operators (none connect) and so I am stuck with Orange. Having called customer services (on an Orange phone which worked perfectly) they just kept telling me to try Movistar. It doesn't work!

Now I am guessing you can't fix it until I get back to the UK. I am having problems with my hotel and I can't even call anyone.

This is poor. Try spending more time and effort on your mobile network than 'space tourism'. 1st July was supposed to be the day when roamimg became easier.

You will be losing a long standing customer now, and we will be cancelling our virgin media package too. You can whistle for your cancellation charges, this is a failure to provide and agreed service and so a breach of contract.

What a shame. I always used to recommend you.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rita-B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Roaming in Majorca

Hi basilfaulty,

I am sorry to hear about the issue  you are having whilst abroad. Have you run any test on the phone, like a hard reboot and a manual roam on the phone and search for the network.

You can click here to see what other networks you can connect to whilst abroad.

Please let me know how you get on.

Rita B
Help & Support Forum Team

0 Kudos
basilfaulty
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hey. What a great idea. I never thought of that (sarcasm).

You have known you have a problem with roaming in Spain. I know that, as I have the ability to read and use a search engine. Also, the sticky you have on this forum gives it away.

As I told the person on your helpline, and the person on Facebook. NONE of the networks work except Orange. Funny I can't make calls, but I can receive calls and texts offering me PPI claims and loans.

You KNOW it doesn't work. Don't pretend it is the customer fault. The least you could have done is WARN YOUR CUSTOMERS.

I am just relieved that it is me having problems, and not my daughter. Luckily when she went to Spain she was on a network that works ok (basically, any network than Virgin).

0 Kudos
barrydrake
Dialled in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi ....  My wife is getting exactly the same problem.  She is on a contract, and roaming is enabled - I've checked on her online account.  I have re-booted.  We get three available networks: movistar, vodaphoneES, and Orange.  The first two attempt to connect, but end with the message 'not available', and Orange ends with the message 'not allowed'.  I'm having no problem on my payg mobile which is connecting to movistar, but my phone is not on Virgin, so I am not sure how significant this is.

We can't contact 'help' as this requires a phone-call, and on my payg phone would be too costly.  I had hoped there might be a way of sending an e-mail, or a help-call to a UK non-premium number that I can use my Virgin\smartCall app to connect to.  As I don't have a Virgin payg phone, I cant use the short number ....   We are a bit stuck ....   any thoughts?  Yes - I know - get myself a Virgin payg sim - maybe I will for the next holiday.  We are here in Mallorca for another few days.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi barrydrake,

Thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear your Wife cannot connect to a network abroad.

The first suggestion I can make here is to disable roaming and then enable it again. Once done, allow 24 hours for it to re-activate. If this has been done, and it's still not working, you'd need to call our team to have a look.

Good news, you can use your SmartCall app to contact us. If you dial 150 (free of charge) from it and select the option for mobile. Alternatively, you can dial 0345 6000 789. This is charged at local rate and may also be free depending on your landline package.

Hope this information helps. Please update me on the progress.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
barrydrake
Dialled in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi ....  Thank you so much for your very helpful response.  I've turned roaming off - and tomorrow I'll turn it off and see what happens.  The best this is knowing that SmartCall should let me dial 150 - I hadn't realised that.  It's proved a wonderful app so far.  Before that, I had a SIP softphone app, and a sip account with Callcentric that I could pre-pay five dollars for calls at two cents a minute much better than Skype.  Callcentric is good - but Smart Call is better.  It would be nice if Virgin offered a pre-pay SIP account for when I want to make calls to friend in the USA ....

Thanks again - this was really helpful.

Kind regards,     Barry.

0 Kudos
basilfaulty
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Very sad that one year later, you STILL don't tell your customers that roaming doesn't work in Majorca. Oh well, I left your network month ago and 02 works fine abroad
0 Kudos
barrydrake
Dialled in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Look, I don't work for Virgin, but if someone asks me questions such as "What networks are there?", and "what messages did you get when you tried to connect manually?", I would have the courtesy to try and answer them. Above all, why get nasty, when the problem is more likely to be caused by the user, than by Virgin? I want to help get this problem sorted for other folk. I'm glad O2 works OK for you.

Kind regards, Barry.
0 Kudos
basilfaulty
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Barry,

The problem is a contractual issue between Virgin and Orange in Spain. It has been dragging on for 12months. I wqs stuck without a phone at 2am in the morning, and unable to get in my hotel. Hope yours gets sorted
0 Kudos
BexTech
Superfast
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I used to use Vyke as a SIP service, used to be 2p per call to UK, USA and others, slowly went up, and is now 10p for an hour.

0 Kudos