Menu
pbolding
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Roaming fail

My wife and I both have VMobile phones and have used roaming a lot. However we both found recently that sending a text (but not making a call) was barred in Andorra, where there is only one network, Mobiland. Can someone from Virgin Mobile tell me why? The phone just reports “Failed”. No, coverage was not an issue.

But we could both receive texts.

And can you tell me why a text I sent from the UK to my wife in Andorra should take more than 24 hours to get there? (It was sent on 16 June at 2017 BST and delivered around 3 am today, 18 June).

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Krystal_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Roaming fail

Hi pbolding,

Let's get this resolved for you. Hope you had a good time in Andorra Smiley Happy

If you're able to call and receive texts, but both were having the issue, it's either a network or settings issue and we'll be able rule these out by checking a few things.

Firstly, taking the battery out whilst the phone is turned on, removing the sim card, waiting 30 seconds and putting back together refreshes the connection to the network.

Next, please check the service centre number is correct in your handset - it's the number that sends texts through the network. If it's slightly incorrect you'll still be able to text on Virgin (T-Mobile) but not when roaming. The correct number is +447958879890.

Which handset do you have? You'll be able to find interactive guides and manuals for our phones here to help you find the service centre number. It's typically in the Messaging settings.  

If the number is correct, were you able to call the number(s) you were having issues with? If so, please make sure you have +44 in front of the number and drop the first 0 from the number e.g. +4471234567891. If it's an Andorra number it's +376 (again dropping the first 0).

You can try sending yourself a text (after deleting any failed texts) to rule out any issues with other numbers.

Where did you have the issue? Was it in one location or multiple locations - how far from each other? We're checking that it was able to connect to a different masts to make sure it wasn't an issue with the mast in the area.

As you've mentioned, there's one network Mobiland (STA) so you were unable to try a different network. However, we're able to try switching between 2g and 3g (if you have a phone that's supports 3g). If you tried this, what happened?

How old are your sims? If they're over a few years old, we'd be able to look into replacing the sim cards to make sure they weren't causing the issue on 789.

Beyond this, if you have the same issue again, please give our team a call on 789 (on PAYG - £2 for the whole call)) or +44 7953 967 967 if on Pay Monthly/Sim only contract (charged at the rate for the country you're in) when abroad and we'll be able to collect examples so the network will be able to look into this further for you.

In reference to the time it takes to receive texts, it can take up to 72 hours for a text to be received. It's not usually this long by all accounts but can be affected by congestion, being out of coverage or other issues with the network.

I understand you're no longer abroad, but please let us know how you get on.

Many thanks.

Krystal Evans
Mobile Help & Support Forum Team

0 Kudos
pbolding
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I wonder if you could take a look at this issue for me again.

I am in Andorra and unable to use roaming.  It was fine in Spain on the way here.

I am unable register on the (one) local operator Mobiland anywhere in the country even where the signal is five bars. I tried it manually.

My wife has a VM mobile and hers is fine. 

I see from an EE forum someone has had the same problem with this operator.

I have tried my VM sim card in a different unlocked phone and it won't register.

Can my roaming profile be checked? Reset maybe?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pbolding,

Thanks for your query Smiley Happy I want to get this all sorted for you.

It sounds like this may be a problem with the roaming service for your number.

I can't enable this from my side unfortunately. If you call us on 789 from your wifes phone, we can get this all sorted for you.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
pbolding
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I called CS and after a bit of a battle with the first person who answered, who said there was nothing she could so, I got to speak to a technical person who reset my roaming profile. I guess that's all I can expect.

If there is anything else it might be, I would like to know. If it happens again, I have to change provider.

But a question for you - are you sure 789 would work abroad? I suspect not.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pbolding,

It's good to hear your profile has been refreshed Smiley Happy

This should eliminate any issues with roaming in the future.

If roaming is enabled, you can indeed use 789 from abroad.

If you have any queries, let me know.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Fynt
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Roaming fail - Same Problenm - not resolved

I've just come back from abroad and for the second time had absolutely no cover - no ability to use the phone and no way of resolving the problem.

I got a SIM in November and said at that time I go abroad a fair bit.

They confirmed the country was covered and I could link to one of 3 service providers.

All good so far in the sales pitch.

Low and behold in December - and through Christmas - whilst away absolutely no cover - a brilliant time to be without a phone - thanks Virgin.

Back in the UK in Jan - contacted Virgin - talked to helpful person who assured that all was well - all is now working - should be straightforward no issues at all. All set up and just use.

Went abroad again for two weeks (back yesterday) and again no cover at all.

The messages from the 3 providers said "This SIM is not authorised for use on this network".

Tried the SIM in 3 phones (iPhone 4S - Galaxy Duo2 and HTC) and rebooted all and reset all and reconfigured all. Common denominator and source of problem is the SIM and Virgin SIM authorisation on the network abroad.

By the way - why suggest calling 789 (on the help section) if you cant get a phone connection - how would that 'help'.

I phoned up again yesterday (straight off the plane) and asked why it didn't work.

Apparently my profile hadn't been refreshed.

This prompts a number of questions

1) What does this process do that changes and fixes the problem (exactly and technically - I work in IT so I'd like a comms answer)

2) Why would my profile have not been refreshed and set up in November, December, January and March when I contacted Virgin about this need to use the phone abroad

3) I had already received a couple of texts stating my profile has been refreshed - what has the new version implemented that the previous ones have failed to apply.

4) What assurances and recompense can I expect when I go abroad again soon and I have zero confidence in being able to use my phone.

5) What recompense can I expect from the significant failures to apply the ability to use the phone abroad so far?

6) What is the extent of this issue - I am considering and FOI request to resolve this matter and will be keen to see this sorted with immediate effect.

Location - Budapest Hungary

Providers

Vodafone - HU

Pannon-HU

T-Mobile-HU

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Fynt,

Welcome to the forums.

I'm really sorry about this. So we can get a detailed look into what's happened here, I'll send you a PM.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
brightonjohn
Superfast
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I had exactly the same problem. Phoned Virgin before I came over here to France and was told that a reboot was all that was required. By the way, removing the battery from an iPhone is not an option.

When I arrived over here I turned the phone off completly but still got all of the error messages described elsewhere.

Eventually, four days into my trip I got a message that I had seen before but which I didn't realise applied to me.

I had to text BUY xxxMB to 23456

So I have done this and now all is working as expected. Now either

a. I should have been told that I would need to do this when I made the original call OR

b. something isn't working as it should and I've had to make an extra lump sum payment rather than simply get billed for the actual use I make of the services while here.

What did seem to work was that I could receive phone calls from England and sometimes send SMS text messages (but not receive them.)

I look forward to an explanation please.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi brightonjohn,

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

You would only need to buy the data pass if you wanted to browse the internet while abroad. Not for general roaming. It sounds like roaming was enabled but you weren't able to use the data without an EU data pass.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos