Menu
OliW7
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Roaming does not work

Hi,

My roaming is switched on yet I cannot make calls or texts, I have not had any welcome texts in France, Belgium, Germany or Poland.

Roaming is on when i check my online account and also Roaming is on when i check on my phone.

It is clear I am not the only one with this issue as I see over the past YEARS others have the same problem and all I see is terrible customer service in getting it fixed... You can call us? yea? good joke - with what? my phone that doesnt work? 

Anyway, I am in Poland for my wedding, my guests MUST be able to contact me via my phone as they are coming from England too! This is un acceptable and I fail to see how Virgin can think it is ok that their system dont work / say wrong things.

This is the same for my Fiancee who is sat next to me however she does get welcome messages but still cannot use her phone.

I will ask that someone sorts this (I am certain you can get my number by tracing my email that I have signed up with as it is the same for forum as it is virgin mobile) I need my phone to work.

If you can sort this I would appreciate it, if you reply to this post I May find WiFi tomorrow to check it but i may not (which is why I need you to just trace my number and fix it, it must be second nature now the amount of complaints.)

No excuses Virgin Media - you take our money, now fix our problems.

Oliver W 7

0 Kudos
OliW7
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Roaming does not work

Why was this ignored... I still do not have roaming working.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi OliW7,

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post.

My apologies for the issues your'e experiencing when trying to use roaming abroad. Appreciate this can be frustrating.

Sometimes a few simple steps can be performed to get roaming up and running. Try these steps below for me as it sounds like roaming is active but the handsets are struggling to pick up the local network.

• Turn your phone off and then back on again
  • Go into your phone settings and select a network manually.
  • Try removing your phone’s battery, while it’s still switched on – this helps reboot it and find a local network

I've also included a link here to a previous post with some other steps you can try.

Let me know how it goes.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
OliW7
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stephen_B

Thanks, whislt Iappreciate you ave answered, all you have done is replied with the same trash everyone else replies to, I can scan the forum for this answer on ALL THE OTHER DATA ROAMING QUERIES.

It is obviously a VIRGIN issue as I went for my wedding and ALL of my guests on ANY other network were perfectly fine. I am appalled by this service and will be calling the customer service team today to discuss it as it nearly ruined part of my wedding.

Your answers are generic and useless, of course I tried to turn my phone off and back on / hit the reset button / cant take a battery out of a sealed phone / tried selecting manually.

The problem is not my phone it is clearly VIRGIN who for the past couple of years have had numerous complaints about their data roaming service.

So, i'll let you know how it went, not that you or anyone else cares or you'd  list useful replies, I had no data roaming, I could not receive nor send messages nor phone calls, my partner could receive phone calls but not make or use sms function. How's that sound, like i had a brilliant service and received the level I paid for?

Ridiculous.

A very unhappy customer. I would have preferred no reply rather than a generic copy paste that hasnt helped ANYONE else who has tried.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi OliW7,

Thanks for your reply.

I totally appreciate where your coming from and understand why you are frustrated I would be also. I wouldn't say there is as wide spread an issue as you stated with roaming. The problem with gauging an issue like this via a forum is the majority of customers come here to report a fault so this can give you a false sense of scale. What you don't hear is the hundreds of customers who have been able to use roaming abroad with no issues what so ever. I myself recently went to Spain and all 3 phones I have on Virgin connected to the local network and worked fine.  

I'd like to get your issues looked into so I will send you a private message shortly (red envelope, top left hand side)

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
BarryG1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I've had similar issues on the last few years of holidays and other short trips abroad now (at least back to 2012 that I remember) and am getting very fed up with it as well. I've been with Virgin Mobile for years  - 12 or so, I think - and never had a problem until I upgraded to a smartphone a couple of upgrades back. When you are abroad, you can't actually call the helpdesk unless you borrow someone else's phone to do so and I haven't wanted to try to do that and rack up roaming costs for someone else. I on one occasion tried an email to 'theteam' when on wifi but they only get half answered these days, you are very clearly encouraged to call the helpdesk, rather than email. 

I have obviously been wrongly attributing the issue to the make of handset as, until recently I had two subsequent entry level HTCs and I found that texts worked but not calls. So I thought, wrongly it seems, that this was some dodgey phone setting on my handset that was barring calls, because when I tried to unbar it, I was prompted for a password that of course I didn't have. However, this last holiday, a couple of weeks ago, now with a Sony Experia Z1 compact, I could not make calls OR send texts. I could receive both though, and emails from Virgin, every day, saying to buy a data bundle but I could not reply to them to purchase a data bundle!  Ever since I first had a problem, I always logged in to my account before travelling and saw Roaming is turned on and of course I tried rebooting etc,

So this time, I called customer services on my return - it takes a lot of IVR messages before you actually get to speak to someone - and she sort of knowingly said that I should have called before I set off to make sure it was all set up and "refreshed". It does not say on your website that you have to actually call customer services before you set off, in fact I bet you don't and that was just an easy way to get me off the line as there was nothing to be done about it now I was back in the UK. Of course it is too late to look into it now I am back in the UK but I really think you do have a more serious issue here than you are giving people credit for. I wonder how many people like me don't even report the issue because when you get back in the UK, you don't need it, until the next holiday and while texts were working I could make do.

I have started looking at getting a back up sim card from another network now, for my next holiday / trip abroad, as I am just certain that it won't work next time I go abroad either and I won't be able to call you. But I am really only  one step away from switching altogether another time, it strikes me from some basic internet searching that there are more reliable options out there.

It doesn't seem that there will be any way to investigate this more, until I travel again but your engineers / technical people must be able to guarantee that Roaming is going to work on the handsets that you sell to customers, if the customer requests it, surely? I really don't understand why you can't do this. In fact I question the policy to default it to 'Off' but I can see the argument for there being no surprise costs for people but when someone categorically wants it turned ON, why can't you do this?

Thanks,

Barry