Menu
pharlin
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Roaming data not working

I recently visited Rome, i had already ensured that data roaming was enabled, and when i landed i could send/receive text messages ok

I purchased a travel pass for data, but i just could not get it to work. emails/internet worked fine whenever i had a wifi connection. but it would never work on the mobile network.

i tried restarting, i tried connecting to other mobile networks, i changed the access point name to internet, i changed from automatic to manual networks, nothing i tried would give me a data connection over a mobile network.

Can anyone give some advice? Im travelling again next week to berlin and want to make sure data works this time.

thanks

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Roaming data not working

Your post is unclear!  Did you enable roaming on the account via 789 or your web account? Did you enable roaming on the phone? Whatever phone ettibgs other than that you changed did you revert? Does you history show any roaming data use?

0 Kudos
pharlin
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply.

Before I left the UK i logged into my mobile account via the web and checked that data roaming was switched on in the manage services section. (also making sure international call barring was switched off)

When I arrived in Rome the phone found a network and i was able to send and receive text messages.

I then bought a travel pass by sending an SMS message to 23456.

My phone settings had international roaming enabled, but i could only access emails whenever I had a wifi connection.

Without wifi i could only receive/send text messages. The phone shows no data usage during the time i was there.

attempts to visit any website gave an error message of no wifi or data connection

I added a new APN called internet, originally it was called goto.virginmobile.uk- neither of these worked.

i tried turning off automatic network selection, and tried each of the 5 or so networks that were available, 

i tried turning wifi off, i restarted between each change.

Whenever I had wifi i google searched for solutions which i tried without success (manually choosing other networks, naming APN internet)

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It seems that you have tried and worked hard for a resolution, I'm now at a loss, I'd call 789 and ask for a refund at least.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi pharlin,

Welcome to the Community Forum. I'm sorry that you've had such difficulties getting your data pass to work when you were abroad. 

I'd like to look into this for you, but I'll need to verify your details first. I'll send you a private message requesting this information, just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi pharlin,

I'm checking back with you about the issue you reported with your Virgin Mobile service, as I haven't received a response from you yet.
If you are still having problems with this and would like for me to look into this for you, please let me know.
Many thanks,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos