Menu
Andrew1010
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Roaming - and the nightmare of communicatimg with VM in the internet age

Never had a problem with roaming before, but come to Greece on holiday and not only has it all gone wrong but I am hugely disappointed by Virgin's help systems.

Only really need mobile data on this holiday, but:

1. Texting 23456 to get a travel pass while still in the uk resulted in an error text telling me to phone. Phoning resulted in a simple apology message asking to try later.

2. Arriving in Greece, got the welcome message detailing services and costs BUT neither texts or calls to text number work! I have a service from GR Cosmote but apparently not to contact VM.

3. So I am reduced to hotel WiFi only, trying to resolve issue with VM without phone or texts but everything wifi enables like IP telephony, access to my account....but all I can find is a help desk email that elicited a standard sorry message and no follow up and this forum where I am now posting in the hope the moderator will take pity and suggest a way in the age of the internet and global standards for WiFi that they will communicate with me to resolve this issue.

Helpful Answers
BarryG1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Roaming - and the nightmare of communicatimg with VM in the internet age

it is laughable, no-one ever gets a visible resolution to the problem do they? just a secret PM if you are lucky. and i bet it just tells you to call a number that you can't call because calls are all blocked, when roaming is not working.

I now have got a sim card from a competitor network to use on my next trip, as i can't afford the stress of not being able to make calls, even in an emergency but the behaviour of Virgin on this subject leaves a lot to be desired. 

I can't help thinking that Richard Branson would be very disappointed by the level of service going on here, if he knew what was going on in the name of his beloved brand. There is no accountability here at all, I was almost laughed at when I rang to complain after my last trip abroad, she couldn't wait to get me off the phone with the usual "next time, call before your trip, so we can check it is all OK, as sometimes it needs refreshing". 

Good luck with that, I thought to myself. Time to switch network, for me anyway. If you do call in, it takes some perseverance as the IVR tries to send you back to the website at every opportunity and if you do speak to someone, they cheerfully tell you it is all fine.

I keep coming back here hoping to see someone with a resolution to this but it never happens!

An idea for the mods here.. flag it to your management, that you are getting A LOT of complaints about this, get them to let you post something a bit more up to date and helpful, acknowledging there is an issue that won't be solved by a 'hard reboot' and brief your front line support people to respond to it with a bit more thought. 3 different handsets for me now, 2 sims and several countries.

And another tip - people can often connect to wifi on their smart phones in hotels etc., which means they can email or post on here but they can't call or text when roaming is not working. Food for thought. How about responding to those emails a bit more quickly, e.g. with a dedicated email address for roaming help, or something in the way of live chat?

All Replies
BarryG1
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

One day they might acknowledge they have a serious, widespread issue with this and try to do something about it, apart from saying to reboot your phone, or to call them next time you travel.

We live in hope.

Andrew1010
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for some support Barry, it appears the moderators have been pulled from the forum. I have now got calls and texts working (email to theteam@virginmobile.com seems to have done something, not that they have confirmed anything). However 23456 text service (to get travel pass) and +447953967967 help number still appear to be down, responding with canned sorry responses. They have been down since at least 7am 9th Sep when I started trying.

No comment or admission from VM.......
potallytissedof
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There has been NO help available since at least the 1st of September when I first tried to contact them. They are a ''clockwork'' company in a digital age. Someone should put them out of their miserable existence.

0 Kudos
BarryG1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

it is laughable, no-one ever gets a visible resolution to the problem do they? just a secret PM if you are lucky. and i bet it just tells you to call a number that you can't call because calls are all blocked, when roaming is not working.

I now have got a sim card from a competitor network to use on my next trip, as i can't afford the stress of not being able to make calls, even in an emergency but the behaviour of Virgin on this subject leaves a lot to be desired. 

I can't help thinking that Richard Branson would be very disappointed by the level of service going on here, if he knew what was going on in the name of his beloved brand. There is no accountability here at all, I was almost laughed at when I rang to complain after my last trip abroad, she couldn't wait to get me off the phone with the usual "next time, call before your trip, so we can check it is all OK, as sometimes it needs refreshing". 

Good luck with that, I thought to myself. Time to switch network, for me anyway. If you do call in, it takes some perseverance as the IVR tries to send you back to the website at every opportunity and if you do speak to someone, they cheerfully tell you it is all fine.

I keep coming back here hoping to see someone with a resolution to this but it never happens!

An idea for the mods here.. flag it to your management, that you are getting A LOT of complaints about this, get them to let you post something a bit more up to date and helpful, acknowledging there is an issue that won't be solved by a 'hard reboot' and brief your front line support people to respond to it with a bit more thought. 3 different handsets for me now, 2 sims and several countries.

And another tip - people can often connect to wifi on their smart phones in hotels etc., which means they can email or post on here but they can't call or text when roaming is not working. Food for thought. How about responding to those emails a bit more quickly, e.g. with a dedicated email address for roaming help, or something in the way of live chat?

Andrew1010
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good news texting 23456 for a travel pass with 'Buy 20MB' is working again. (well it did for me 2min ago).

No comment or explanation from VM of course, so we can only speculate.
0 Kudos
Andrew1010
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I spoke too soon...sold a travel pass, but data roaming never worked.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andrew1010,

Thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear the travel pass isn't working for you.

One of the most common cause's of this issue is data roaming not being switched on. On your handset you would need to go into your network settings and turn this feature on.

I've included a link to our handset guide here for you. Just select your handset and follow the walkthrough for activating data roaming. 

Should this not resolve your issue please accept my apologies. If you give our mobile team a call on 789 when your back we can certainly look at getting this refunded for you.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Andrew1010
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stephen,

Yes, data roaming was turned on, but no joy with travel pass and roaming data

Back in the UK now so will call CS to get refund and log complaint

Thanks for trying - do think VM need to rethink their support for customers overseas without phone service, and investigate why support services can be down for extended periods without anyone apparently being aware.

Regards

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for getting back to me.

My sincere apologies the travel pass didn't work for you. 

Totally appreciate the points you've made and we will take these onboard. We are always reviewing our processes to make sure they best suit the needs of our customers.

Many thanks

Take care

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos