Menu
Pentala
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Roaming Ripoff

Am I mistaken in thinking that all of the other mobile operators include Switzerland in the EU for roaming costs yet Virgin seem to be trying to get more money out of there customers with additional costs for Switzerland... I spoke to customer services a couple of weeks ago and was told Switzerland was included in the Roam Like Home countries....
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Roaming Ripoff

It is sort of explained on this link
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...
Click on the "fair usage data allowance" link.

But what makes it even more confusing now, is the bit on the link above what says
"Need more data and on a Pay Monthly plan? Then get Virgin Mobile Pay Monthly Data Add-Ons and use your add-on when in the EU."
How does that now work with the FUP, data charges after your allowance has gone and the Surcharges if in EU for more than 14 weeks?
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos

All Replies
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Certainly the big 4 main networks don't but looking at the website I think you are right about Virgin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pentala
Dialled in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm in Switzerland at the moment. I'm with EE and have received a text from them saying all usage is as per UK, however, my Son is with Virgin and he has received a text saying that all usage is billable at the old extortionate roaming rates. Time for a new provider...
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Not a ripoff, but agree Virgin are the tightest on roaming and have kept to the bare minimum the have needed to by the EU law.

When we travel to Jersey & Guernsey, our Virgin sims are only used for incoming calls/texts, all our outgoing calls/texts and full data allowance roaming is covered with a BT sim we also have.
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Pentala
Dialled in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I call charging the equivalent of £512 per Gb of data a ripoff....still, not as bad as the USA where they charge a whopping £5,120 per Gb!!!
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I can think of a network where both of those countries are included in your allowance ------ just saying 

Pentala
Dialled in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

And now they are sending a text to say that from 7th Nov data will cost £3 per day! What's that about?
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That text is still going out badly worded :-)

It's going upto £3 @day per gig, for when you've used up your EU roaming data allowance, at present it's £1 @day when your allowance has been used up.
0 Kudos
Pentala
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Would be nice to get a clear picture of what that allowance will be given that calculation for how much of your allowance is classed as fair usage...
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is sort of explained on this link
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...
Click on the "fair usage data allowance" link.

But what makes it even more confusing now, is the bit on the link above what says
"Need more data and on a Pay Monthly plan? Then get Virgin Mobile Pay Monthly Data Add-Ons and use your add-on when in the EU."
How does that now work with the FUP, data charges after your allowance has gone and the Surcharges if in EU for more than 14 weeks?
0 Kudos