Menu
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired) Aimie
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 1 of 1
Flag for a moderator

Roaming - FAQs

Hi,

There's been a lot of questions about Roaming - so I've created a list of frequently asked questions below - Hope it helps!

• I’m planning a trip abroad – what do I need to do before I go?

If you're on a Pay As You Go plan, you’re good to go.

If you're a Pay Monthly customer you'll need to make sure you're all set up before you travel. You can do this by Your Account:

1. Go to Plan and Device
    2. Select the Manage Services tab
    3. Scroll down to the Roaming section and click the slider to the ON position
    4. Check that your International Call Bar is also switched OFF and you're all set to go

If you want to access data please ensure Data & Data Roaming options are turned ON in your device settings .

Alternatively, you can call our team on 789 to set up your roaming service.

For more information on setting up your Roaming, see our Roaming Hub

• What is Roam like Home and what’s included?

You can now use your UK allowance anywhere in the EU with Roam Like Home. This means that while you’re travelling in an EU country you can use your UK allowance of Minutes, Texts and Data, just as you would in the UK subject to fair use limits. This includes roaming calls back to the UK and between EU countries.

If your allowance has run out, you can still use your mobile wherever you are in the EU and pay no more for your Minutes, Texts and Data than you would in the UK, subject to fair use limits.

Need more data in the EU and on a Pay Monthly plan? Then get Virgin Mobile Pay Monthly Data Add-Ons.

More information about Roam Like Home (including countries included) can be found here.

• Are calls from the UK to the rest of Europe included in Roam Like Home?

No, these are international calls

• Travelling outside the EU

If you’re travelling outside the EU, you won’t be able to use your UK allowances. Need to use data? Just buy one of our Travel Data Add-ons and you can easily keep track of how much you spend.

For more information visit Roaming Costs.

•  I’m already abroad – Where can I get help?

We've put together some tips to help you when you're out of the UK. And download our handy Roaming Guide to your phone for help when you need it.

Alternatively you can call +44 7458 333 789.

•  I can use calls and send SMS – but I can’t use data

Check your phone settings

To switch on/off data roaming, have a peep at your phone manual and ensure Data & Data Roaming options are turned ‘ON’ in your device settings. Or check out Virgin Mobile phone support for help.

Steps for most devices:

• Most Android devices: Settings > More Networks/Settings (you may skip this step on recent android devices) > Mobile Networks > Ensure Data Roaming is turned ‘ON’.
    • Most IPhone’s: Settings > Mobile Data > Ensure Mobile Data and Data Roaming are ‘ON’. Please make sure EU Internet is turned ‘OFF’.
    • If you need exact instructions please post the make and model of your device.

Check your account settings

Please check that roaming is activated in Your Account (Please allow 24 hours for changes to complete):

• Go to Plan and Device
    • Select the Manage Services tab
    • Scroll down to the Roaming section and click the slider to the ON position
    • Check that your International Call Bar is also switched OFF and you're all set to go

Check your Access Point Name (APN) settings

If you still can't get data then you need to update the APN settings. You can enter them manually or you can select your handset from this list to get the update directly.

Please check that the APN selected in your account is displayed as Virgin and not another network provider. Here are the basic steps for most Android devices:

Settings > More Networks/Settings (you may skip this step on recent android devices) > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names = Virgin Media Mobile Internet

** It is not possible to manually change APN setting on IPhone’s but you can still reset the APN settings. Please note this will also reset the Wi-Fi networks so you will need to re-key your wireless passwords. Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Alternatively, you can try these APN settings:

• Name — Virgin Media Mobile Internet
    • APN — goto.virginmobile.uk
    • Proxy — Not Set
    • Port — Not Set
    • Username — user
    • Password — Not Set
    • Server — Not Set
    • MMSC — http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
    • MMS proxy — 193.030.166.002
    • MMS port — 8080
    • MCC — 234