Menu
BBPrivDtek4G16
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Review Virgin Mobile 4G

Hey Guys, Please can anyone do an independent no biased review about the latest 4G standard LTE services from Virgin Media Mobile UK? For example is it really any good or does it not really haves anything else to offer thats more substantial rather than just being form over functionality.
Chris BlackDroid User!
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Review Virgin Mobile 4G

Chris as with all service improvements, it depends on your reception, if you are getting poor 3G then the 4G service may not be received on your phone (I have this issue myself) if however you live work and hangout in a great reception area and use the internet on the phone for more than messaging emails and basic stuff it's bragging rights your paying extra for.

If you are a downloaded, stream music or video regularly then it will give a smother stream faster download, there is no 4G calling on any virgin phone the network don't support it
0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sooooo...

Took a bit to activate.... and guess what I didn't need it at all, cause you can't use the 4G service unless you change your current tariff plan to the 4G one which is around £1-2 more.

Sneaky VM, very very sneaky.

So basically waited that time for nothing essentially.

Majide!
silentg1971
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

my impression of the new 4g is not great, barely any improvement at all and i live in a really good 4g area. speedtest shows a slight improvement but not at all what i was expecting, bit of a waste if you ask me. according to the coverage checker i am in an "EXCELLENT" coverage area haha okey dokey, if you say so virgin
0 Kudos
teamfloyduk
Dialled in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So I've had my 4G sim for almost a month now, and although outside of my house the speed and connection is fine, while i'm in my house I constantly loose the virgin signal altogether, I get the message network unavailable. I never got that on my old 3G sim (wi-fi still works) but frustrating to see the "network unavailable" message.

0 Kudos
AndyCoffin
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Been running for several days now (not long i know) getting good speeds at all times outside (never dropped below 20meg, even in the city centre) and while i agree the 4g signal drops indoors in my case it always falls back to the 3g signal, only time ive ever knowingly lost signal is when at work in the "core" of the building (dont think any mobiles work there). never had a dropped call either. Im running the ofcom recherch app on my phone which is currently showing the following.....

Data availability..... mobile 89% (lose almost all signal at work depending where in the building i am)

Download speed.... 3g 1.43 Mbps, 4g 25.79 Mbps

Dropped call.... 0.0%

Latency.... 3g 50ms, 4g 29ms

So far im very happy even tho i was was unsure to begin with (my 3g works fine so do i really need 4g?), but the black friday double data deal clinched it for me. gone from a £23pm contract to £12pm.

my phone is able to use EE's faster 4g+ service (sometimes shows as 4g+ on the status) but never had the higher speeds on that band yet.

I live in carlisle and am running a samsung galaxy s5neo with android 6.0.1 on it.

------------------------------------------
When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I am a man, I have no more use for childish ways.

The Puppet Master .
0 Kudos
ib71
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Never been able to get 4g once in the week I have had the new SIM - even though my town has great 4G and could always get it when I was with Vodafone.

Not happy at all and seems very misleading from Virgin.

0 Kudos
AndyCoffin
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@ib71

The 4g kicks in at/just after your refresh date. i had mine for nearly 2 weeks before it changed because i ordered it just after my last refresh.

------------------------------------------
When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I am a man, I have no more use for childish ways.

The Puppet Master .
0 Kudos
chrisd366
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The BlackBerry Priv which stands for Privilege & Privacy, BlackBerry Powered by BlackDroid Android, Is it worthy to be used with the Virgin Media Mobile UK 4G LTE services, as one of the most Secure Mobile Devices on the marketplace today nowadays.
0 Kudos