Menu
shridd
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Replacing a SIM for a microSIM?

OK.... here goes...

I have a SIM only contract but the SIM I have is of the 'standard' size as the the phone (ex Virgin contract, HTC Desire X) I have been using it in requires that size. I use this phone purely for when I'm out fishing as I've lost/dunked too many 'good' phones over the years and so the main phone remains safe at home when I'm out at the water's edge... 

However, I have this week I have upgraded my current 'main' phone and so would like now to use this newly out of contract (Sony Xperia M2) phone to take over the services of the HTC... 

BUT the Sony requires a micro-SIM format.... so can I get a free exchange of the std-SIM to micro-SIM (and retain number, etc) from the local Virgin Media store - basically, as I did today really due to my new main phone (Sony Xperia XA) requiring a nano-SIM whilst the original M2 used a micro-SIM that meant I couldn't just plug it in ....

Cheers

Steve

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Replacing a SIM for a microSIM?

Hi Steve,

yes, you can pop into your local Virgin Media store and they will be able to sort this out for you.

Or you can give the Virgin mobile team a call on 789 from your mobile & request a replacement SIM size.

(Either way retaining your same mobile number and tariff but you will be responsible for transferring any stored contact information).

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Roumor has it that it can be done at a VM store, but that not many will/can do it.

When I did mine a while ago, I used the old phone to call 789, explained that I wanted to swap the existing standard sim, (and gave them the number) to a micro sim, (you need to specify that you are just changing sim size and not the number!).

They will send you a new sim, (you have the choice of having it 'pre activated' but that means you loose the old one straight away) or activating it yourself, (better, as you keep old sim active until you are ready to do the swap)

When the new sim arrives, if you decided to activate yourself, you just send VM a 'ready' text on old phone, put new sim in new phone, and about an hour later, the old one will stop working, and the new one should become active. I was without a phone for about 45 mins, then received a text on new phone stating all ready to go, and offering to send you the VM settings for the new phone.

Simple and painless, just need to wait a few days for new sim to arrive.

But, as mentioned, some shops can do it while you wait, but others can't. appears to be a bit 'hit & miss'

Hope this helps..Smiley Happy

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Steve,

yes, you can pop into your local Virgin Media store and they will be able to sort this out for you.

Or you can give the Virgin mobile team a call on 789 from your mobile & request a replacement SIM size.

(Either way retaining your same mobile number and tariff but you will be responsible for transferring any stored contact information).

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Roumor has it that it can be done at a VM store, but that not many will/can do it.

When I did mine a while ago, I used the old phone to call 789, explained that I wanted to swap the existing standard sim, (and gave them the number) to a micro sim, (you need to specify that you are just changing sim size and not the number!).

They will send you a new sim, (you have the choice of having it 'pre activated' but that means you loose the old one straight away) or activating it yourself, (better, as you keep old sim active until you are ready to do the swap)

When the new sim arrives, if you decided to activate yourself, you just send VM a 'ready' text on old phone, put new sim in new phone, and about an hour later, the old one will stop working, and the new one should become active. I was without a phone for about 45 mins, then received a text on new phone stating all ready to go, and offering to send you the VM settings for the new phone.

Simple and painless, just need to wait a few days for new sim to arrive.

But, as mentioned, some shops can do it while you wait, but others can't. appears to be a bit 'hit & miss'

Hope this helps..Smiley Happy