Menu
mattgamblin
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Repair Job number 851399

I was recently told by your third party repair company that due to "physical damage" (a tiny chip in the rear corner of my handset), that my barely a year old Sony Xperia Z3 would not be eligible for repairs requested to:

• A faulty USB inlet cover used to waterproof the handset.
  • Two vertical orange "blobs" that cover the left and right sides of the screen (a display issue NOTE NOT a cracked or damaged screen)
  • The handset would not charge unless on a flat surface (i.e. couldn't use while charging).

I would appreciate if someone in your third party could check this link and tell me if all these were due the same "physical damage"? https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=orange+marks+sony+xperia+z3

What I'm saying is the chip in the corner was there way AFTER the orange marks appeared and completely unrelated. It's a documented Sony defect going back to models two or three years older than my Z3!!

I have been told that one of the three standing orders I have set up with Virgin is for re-payment towards a "loan of sorts" against the phone. I assume that this is covered under section 75a of the Consumer Credit Act of 1975? If not, then let me enlighten you...

• “The goods should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for, as well as any specific purpose you made known to the retailer before you agreed to buy the goods”
  • If you are outside the 30-day right to reject [which I am], you have to give the retailer one opportunity [which I have] to repair or replace any goods or digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described [which it is].

To have the device repaired by Virgin's third party was quoted at £120, something I absolutely refuse to honour, especially when I already shell out a proportion of the my £40-a-month bill towards the device. Oh, and the phone is LESS THAN A YEAR OLD!!

So, as far as I am concerned:

•  The phone either gets fixed and I continue to honour the remaining 13 months of my contract with Virgin Mobile OR
  • Any direct debit relating to payment of the phone is temporarily cancelled without notice and further action to my consumer rights is taken.

I could claim it on my soon to be cancelled Virgin Mobile Insurance but the excess will be worth more than my phone is worth in two months time. And why should I when there should be a manufacturer's warranty that covers it for AT LEAST a year. I will check this when I get home.

Your call.

0 Kudos
mattgamblin
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Repair Job number 851399

Oh, and yesterday the whole thing went kaput.

My phone will not even unlock now due to the screen being knackered. It will not respond to swipes above the unlock pad numbers of 4, 5 and 6.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi mattgamblin

Welcome to the community, I'm sorry you've been impacted by the situation with the repair of your handset. Whilst our repair team can certainly fix your phone they do have to address any issues that impact the warranty. This does include any issues with the screen or the casing such as the chip to the corner of your handset. 

If you wish to discuss the issues around your specific repair, please give our team a ring and they can get the full details from our repair centre. We can be contacted on 789 from any Virgin Mobile, 150 from any Virgin landline or 0345 6000 789 from any other number.

Many regards

Dave

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
mattgamblin
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Doesn't matter now. Finally got it claimed on my now cancelled insurance. Got a 12 month warranty on this refurbishment and Virgin are a customer down as soon as my contract is up as of January 2018.

Winner winner.

0 Kudos