Menu
lefisher
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Regular 7kb being taken from account

My bills show a regular deduction of 7 kb every few hours from my travel pass.  This is even when I am on wifi in my own home.  This amount doesn't sound large but it adds up over a day.  Also, I am being charged 1p if I send a text to Virgin 2345.  These texts are supposed to be free.  One last thing, will my phone work in the States?  Thank you

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Regular 7kb being taken from account

Hi lefisher,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

If your handset is using data when it should be connected to Wi-Fi it could be an indicator that either the connection is dropping or at least going to sleep, for example when the device is not in use.

Can I ask what make and model handset you are using?

Having also just checked regarding SMS to 23456, they indeed should be free, so any charges that you accrue even at 1p per SMS should be returned.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Liam_T
Forum Team

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
lefisher
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Thank you for your quick reply.  I am using a Samsung Galaxy S6.  I have a very steady wifi connection so I would be surprised if it dropped at all over the day.  I can see from my bill that a small amount is taken from my limit starting around 2 in the morning and finished approximately 8 pm.  I have been trying out the 10 MB roaming download to see how it works so 10+ 7 kb per day adds up. On another point, I tried BUY 10MB via text to 23456 today and it says it can't do it!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi lefisher

Thanks for getting back to me.

Your Samsung Galaxy S6 will work in the states, just so you know Smiley Happy

As for buying another pass, do you already have an active pass at the moment? If so, that needs to be used up first before you can buy a new one.

Can you check in Settings > Wi-Fi > More > Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep and see if that is set to always?

The best solution to stop any amount of data being used is to turn off mobile data unless you are away from Wi-Fi and needing to use the web, this will then ensure that no data is used by the handset.

Let me know how you are getting on.

Regards

Liam_T
Forum Team

0 Kudos
lefisher
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  I have now turned data download off and will remember to put it back on when away from wifi.  My next bill isn't due for a while yet so I have to wait and see if that works.  As for the data download.  I thought I had completely used up my last lot but it turns out that I still have 1.59 MB to use!  So that answers that question.  Glad to hear my phone will work in the States.  Best wishes, Lynda.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lynda

Glad to have got you some answers there.

Hopefully your data passes will last a little longer now too!

Feel free to come back to us again should you need to.

Take care and I hope you have a happy new year Smiley Happy

Regards

Liam_T
Forum Team