Menu
Matt821
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Recommended Apps Spam

Everyday and sometimes multiple times a day I receive recommended apps from Virgin Mobile. I can not find a way to turn this off. I paid full price for my Samsung Galaxy S5 from Virgin Mobile, have never missed a payment, and been a loyal customer for several years. Every time a recommended app is sent from Virgin Mobile, my phone audibly notifies me. I think it's a text message from the sound/vibration and when I check my phone, I'm greeted with spam from Virgin Mobile recommending that I install a useless app.

The one app that I keep getting recommended by Virgin Mobile is Zoosk. Why are they recommending Zoosk when I'm not single?! Absolutely useless and annoying.

I would like to recommend Virgin Mobile to friends and family, but I refuse to tell anyone to buy a phone from Virgin Mobile that constantly spams people. I currently tell people to get Boost or T-Mobile because of this dumb spam from Virgin Mobile.

How do I disable this Virgin Mobile recommended apps spam feature?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Recommended Apps Spam

Hi Matt821, 

I have now spoken to one of the IT guys, they said it is possible it came over on the last update, they will look into this for me. 

In the meantime I have discovered you should be able to turn off the notification by going to: 

Settings > notifications > locate the virgin symbol on the list and turn the slider off. 

If it doesn’t appear on that list, select advanced options at the top, and search through that list, if it appears there, then you can turn the permissions off. 

Let me know if that helps, 

Kelly 

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey Matt821, 

I am sorry to learn that you’re being bombarded with spam messages. I am a little confused I haven’t heard of us sending out recommended apps, can I ask how are these notifying you? Is it via a text message, or are the notifications popping up on the drop down bar from the top of your phone? 

If this is on the phone you can switch off notifications, once we can establish where there coming from i.e. the phone or text I can best advise on how to stop it. 

I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Take care, 

Kelly 

0 Kudos
Matt821
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The recommend app spam appears as a notification. The Virgin Mobile logo is shown at the top-left notification bar when a recommended app is recommended by Virgin Mobile. Expanding the notifications by swiping the notification bar from top to bottom shows the recommended apps from Virgin Mobile. After I clear the notification by swiping it away or tapping 'clear all' gets rid of the recommended app and the Virgin Mobile logo on the notification bar until it pops up again.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey Matt821, 

Thank you for responding, This is a new thing to me, however I have a technical background so I will work something out, I have an S5 at home, I think I will see if I can replicate this issue so I can work out how to resolve it. If you would kindly allow me 48 hours to try and work out how to fix this for you, and I will find out how to make it stop. 

Chat soon, 

Kelly 

0 Kudos
Matt821
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I haven't heard a response in a while and I'm guessing no one really knows what's going on. I took two screenshots and attached them below to show what I mean if it helps. I put in an red arrow pointing to the Virgin Media Logo in each image. Clearing the app in the second screenshot clears the Virgin Mobile icon in the first image. How do I stop this?

Virgin Logo Top-Left CornerVirgin Logo Top-Left CornerRecommending me a useless appRecommending me a useless app

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Matt821, 

I am so sorry that I haven’t got back to you, I had to take some time off from work unfortunately. I did however try to see if I could replicate the issue you were having. I cannot find anything that would pop this virgin symbol on the top of the screen, I have checked with a few colleagues just to check if they have anything like that appearing, and they have no idea what this could be either, which is very odd. 

Do you have any other Virgin Mobile apps installed? Things like my account or TV Anywhere.

Now that I have the screen shots, I can use these and hopefully find out how to stop this. I’m checking through the settings also to see if it can be switched off via the phone. 

I will be back with you soon,

Take care, 

Kelly 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Matt821, 

I have now spoken to one of the IT guys, they said it is possible it came over on the last update, they will look into this for me. 

In the meantime I have discovered you should be able to turn off the notification by going to: 

Settings > notifications > locate the virgin symbol on the list and turn the slider off. 

If it doesn’t appear on that list, select advanced options at the top, and search through that list, if it appears there, then you can turn the permissions off. 

Let me know if that helps, 

Kelly 

Matt821
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice. I think I may have found the culprit. There was an app in Application Notifications called "Virgin - Apps We Love". I never installed this app and it didn't come with my phone when I originally purchased it. It is not listed in applications or anywhere else. Only in this one spot from what I can find. It must of came from an update. I'm pretty sure this was the app that was spamming me. I'm happy to be able to uninstall it, unlike other virgin pre-installed apps. Thanks again! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Matt821, 

I am so glad we go to the bottom of this, I have noticed the little icon is actually the American Virgin logo, I would advise to run an antivirus and malware scan on the phone just to be make sure it completely stops and doesn’t come back, I have spoken to loads of the guys here and none of us have ever saw this before!

But the screen shots you sent me earlier have been a massive help for me as well, as a few customers are experiencing the same issue, so now I know where to go to sort this out so thanks you!

Take care, 

Kelly 

0 Kudos