Menu
Off_switch
Up to speed
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Receiving calls in Ecuador and Roaming

I checked my mobile bill on coming back from hols to find that a call I had declined (Didn't know the umber) had been billed to my ac. 4 Seconds????

I did not answer it so:

Q (1) How could it connect for 4seconds = £1??  

I contacted VM and they reaccredited it "as a one off". Duh, very helpful!

Q(2) As a frequent traveller how can I stop being billed if I decline a call overseas?

Plus data roaming is switched off. I am assuming that it means I won't even try to get data (not wifi)

Another question: what is personal hotspot? 

Thanks oh helpful technogeeks out there!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Receiving calls in Ecuador and Roaming

Off_switch wrote:

I checked my mobile bill on coming back from hols to find that a call I had declined (Didn't know the umber) had been billed to my ac. 4 Seconds????

I did not answer it so:

Hi Off_switch,

is your voicemail enabled on your phone?

If you rejected a call and it diverts to voicemail, you will be charged as if you'd picked the phone up (4 seconds).

If this is the case, turn off voicemail from your account in future before travelling abroad.

Off_switch wrote:

Plus data roaming is switched off. I am assuming that it means I won't even try to get data (not wifi)

I presume you are referring to data roaming enablement on your device (rather than account services)?

Yes, if it is switched off you won't be able to connect to mobile data whilst abroad (will not affect WIFI).

Off_switch wrote:

A personal hotspot is when you connect your phone to another device to use it as a modem to access the internet. Also known as 'tethering'

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Off_switch wrote:

I did not answer it so:

Hi Off_switch,

is your voicemail enabled on your phone?

If you rejected a call and it diverts to voicemail, you will be charged as if you'd picked the phone up (4 seconds).

If this is the case, turn off voicemail from your account in future before travelling abroad.

Off_switch wrote:

I presume you are referring to data roaming enablement on your device (rather than account services)?

Yes, if it is switched off you won't be able to connect to mobile data whilst abroad (will not affect WIFI).

Off_switch wrote:

A personal hotspot is when you connect your phone to another device to use it as a modem to access the internet. Also known as 'tethering'

Off_switch
Up to speed
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you! 

That all makes sense. "Tethering" doesnt really sound useful though. I was hoping it was linkage to wifi in some locations! 

Really helpful. Many thanks!

0 Kudos
Off_switch
Up to speed
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Er...thanks..BUT!!!....

So I went into voicemail to record message etc and tried to test it. So I rang it and it kept on ringing but didn't go to voicemail. So I did it again and declined the call and it didn't go to voicemail again... So I went back into voicemail and you cant actually turn it off...or it appears even on!!!

Or am I going doolallytap?? Possible!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Off_switch,

if you log into your account > click on  the "Plan and device" tab.

Go to "Manage my services" > Voicemail, you should be able to switch it ON / OFF there.

Allow time for your account to update then reboot your phone by turning it off & on again.

If you can't "toggle" the on/off switch or doing so has no effect you will need to call customer services on 789.

0 Kudos
Off_switch
Up to speed
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sadly its going to be 789. Failed on voicemail it doesn't want to play.

Good effort though-thanks. It did make me write down my PUK numbers though. Just in case!!!

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Off_switch
Up to speed
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help. Update.......

I thought I had done it online, I even got a text with a strange message implying it was set up. Failed.

So I rang 789. First problem, which number to press???... But I got a very nice lady. Yes she would set it up, ignore the last text. 

Waited and checked, still no voicemail, but I got another text, at least this time it sort of showed my number. Still no voicemail.

So I will wait again and probably end up going in to the shop tomorrow.

Surely there has to be a better way don't you think?

0 Kudos
Off_switch
Up to speed
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Drum Roll please!   Three days and calls to VM, my voicemail is set up!!!!

For future reference, ignore online, Virgins online services just don't seem to work. Simply call virginmobile on anything and even then it sometimes doesn't work so you just have to persevere. Rubbish really!

Thanks anyway!

0 Kudos
dvarpala
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

There is an alternative solution to the voicemail abroad issue...

Divert all calls to voicemail before leaving the UK, then the call never leaves the UK and cannot be chargeable  :-)

1)    *#67# gets you your voicemail number for the divert

2)    "divert all calls" can be done on your phone at the airport

3)    While abroad, you'll get a (free) voicemail notification, which you can retrieve (or not) by using a local phone, and dialling your own number (interrupt your recorded message with * then your voicemail PIN)

4) Cancel "divert all calls" when you get back to the UK

This works really well, and outside the EU, saves a shed load of money, especially if you've invested in a cheap local SIM.....

0 Kudos
Off_switch
Up to speed
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. #67#??? What???

It should simply be a case of going into your account online, manage your services and switch off your voicemail or roamng etc- you'd think. Sadly it took me several telephone calls and different people who said different things until finally I got it set up.

I think you cannot rely on Virgin Mobile online. You have to speak to someone and HOPE they do what they say they will do

0 Kudos