Menu
Bluf84
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Received Premium Texts, keep arriving.

Hi there,

I've just gone to pay my bills, checked the usage and all that and have noticed a problem I'm pretty against paying for.

As said, keep getting these texts on my account.  I'm pretty digital & internet literate, so I can assure you I've not accidentally set this in motion by sending any daft texts to instigate this.

My account number is: [MOD EDIT: Removed account info]

Can this be investigated and advice given?  

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. To send a Private Message (PM) please click the Please review the Forum Guidelines

0 Kudos
alpha123
Up to speed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Received Premium Texts, keep arriving.

Cant really help per say but i had this about 6 months ago, i was sat on my computer and my phone went off, letting me know id been charged for texting a number, i got confused since id not touched my phone in over an hour nd was home alone, it then went off a few more times over the next few minutes and i lost about £20

Virgin said they wont help as it obviously came from my phone and it was obviously me who did it.

Bluf84
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info', can definitely assure any Virgin people reading that I'd not sent anything from the phone. Check the records. It began happening when I changed my tarriff.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bluf84,

Thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear you're being charged for premium texts.

This is a very tricky topic because providers are not responsible for monitoring texts and tracing their source. I too get these sorts of messages and it's terribly frustrating.

It doesn't necessarily have to start off with a text from your phone. A lot of websites sell your information on once you enter it so it becomes subject to marketing techniques. Even if someone innocently puts your number in by mistake by mixing up a few digits.

Some of these texts have an opt-out clause. We recommend sending a text back with STOP or STOPALL. Are you able to provide the short number? We have a list of these and we may be able to provide you with some contact information to get these stopped.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
alpha123
Up to speed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

There is several issues here though.
The first is in my situation it specificly said in the messages thanks for texting.

the second youve just basicly said someone can enter your details into websites etc and have you charged a fortune without any confirmation from yourself.

Its unnerving to think a network provides no security against this. allowing unknown partys to charge money to an account.

I understand situations where people claim not to have done it and have, ive worked for virgin Ive had customers texting numbers etc but in some situations the user 100% hasnt done a thing
0 Kudos
Nath316
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

To be fair Virgin are not responsible for where people enter their mobile numbers, it is your number after all. If someone does miss enter a number then it is not Virgin's fault.

With regards to your issues

Just because it says thanks for texting does not mean that it came from you, it is probably a standard generic message.

In the end the user has a responsibility to themselves to be careful where they post their mobile number.

As to Virgin providing security then that is an idea. Would it work in such a way that Virgin filter messages and then send you one saying do you want this?

Who would pay for this service? I aimgine it would not be for free so you coudl end up paying more like that than simply sending a STOP text back.

0 Kudos
alpha123
Up to speed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I get the user having to be responable but what im saying is Ive not put my number anywhere, not online not signed upto anything nowhere.

So if my number has been entered somewhere someone else has done it, which is what i was saying about security if i can get for example your phone number type it into some sites and get you charged each time dont you think thats an issue?

im not saying this is specificly virgin either i mean all networks.
0 Kudos
Nex
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Might want to check what apps are installed on your phone. Some unsavoury people make dodgy apps that can do allsorts of things. Texting a premium rate number (without your knowing or consent), being one of them.

Random signature here... I'll get back to this some day!
0 Kudos
Nath316
Dialled in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

alpha yes I agree with you it is an issue that my number has been used by someone else even if by accident but that is not Virgin's or any other network's fault. There are ways to block this at a network level but they would need the number itself I imagine.

I am not a Virgin employee but in this I am on their side to a point

There are unsavoury people in this world and teh more we integrate our lives with teh internet and mobile teh more likely things like this will happen

0 Kudos