Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: landed in tenerife

This might help

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Mobile/Roaming/td-p/2252903.

I will, in due course, be moving your post to the right place in the Forum. It's been overlooked too long

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Grahamrs
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

landed in tenerife

Help
we have just landed in tenerife and unable to make calls or message
I have gone through help on online virgin but can't get answer
it's a contract and 99% sure we selected roaming on account before we left
also looks like orange network here as no virgin so no idea how to connect
0 Kudos
Andydd68
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Good luck. I've been trying to get my phone to work in France for 3 weeks now, without success ! You can check whether you turned on roaming of not I'm online settings,but on mind when I switched if on and went back it had changed to off again now when I go there it says Virgin are making changes today and I can't edit anything, but it's said this for over a week now ! I'm not impressed at all !
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Grahamrs

Welcome to the communitySmiley Happy 

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues while roaming in Tenerife. 

I would check roaming is active when you log into Your Account .

Click on plan and device

Click the tab manage services.

Make sure roaming is set to on here. If it isn't move the slider to on and click update. This will present you with a green success message. It may take up to 24hrs for this to go live on your account.

You can also check the call barring option to stop calls abroad isn't set to on.

You could also try the following steps if roaming is on:

Turn your phone off and then back on again

Go into your phone settings and select a network manually.

Try removing your phone’s battery, while it’s still switched on – this helps reboot it and find a local network

I've also included a link to our roaming charges help page here which has some information about the networks you can expect to connect to in Spain.

If you are still experiencing difficulties give our mobile team a call on +447953967967 or alternatively on 0044345 6000 789 from a roaming handset or land line so we can take a further look into this for you.

Let me know how it goes.

Take care

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
simplycool18
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Stephen B of the forum team is talking absolute B---S--T. He has absolutely no knowledge of what is going on Virgin Mobile overseas connections. You can mess around with your and switch it on off a hundred times and you won't get a connection !!! You can switch the roaming on and off a hundred times and you wont get a connection !!! You can ring customer service a hundred times and you won't get a connection !!! and you can ring people like Stephen B, read the rubbish that he is writing and YOU WON@T GET A CONNECTION. Is this clear ? YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, CHANGE PROVIDERS TO SOMEONE WHO CAN ACTUALLY LET YOU RING WHILST ABROAD.
0 Kudos
Andydd68
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps someone abroad would like to let us know if their phone does work ok ?, it is worrying that there are many posts with people with the same issue.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi simplycool18,

Appreciate this is a frustrating situation for you.

I can understand when looking through our community it would appear we have a greater issue than we have. Compared to our overall customer base the forum represents a relatively small percentage.

If you are having difficulties getting roaming active I do very much sympathise with you. I would recommend calling our mobile team on 0044 345 6000 789 if the mobile number provided +447953967967 is unavailable.

Hope this helps.

Let me know how it goes.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Andydd68
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It's worth noting though that the Roaming sticky Is still posted at top of page so whilst if may not be a big issue it would appear to be the no 1 issue here , coupled with the fact people find it almost impossible to phone Virgin when abroad.
0 Kudos
AllyMac
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm giving up until I get home. The only thing I haven't tried is removing battery but I'm in a tiny village with no shops & no one has the mini screwdriver you need for an iPhone....3 days running now live chat complaints line 'busy' at all times - I suspect it doesn't exist. ...but thanks to other customers for helping me feel less isolated with this problem - I seem to be one of a huge crowd!
0 Kudos
simplycool18
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Message for Stephen B Stop talking rubbish and get in touch with Virgin Senior management and ask them why 100's of phones are NOT WORKING ABROAD and stop giving out useless, stupid and naïve advice. Unless Virgin has got a very serious problem with overseas operators and are simply trying to hide it. Yours absolutely P.......... off
0 Kudos